PDA

View Full Version : Hazing I can not get rid of - I`m out of ideas.

Pages : [1] 2

imported_Picus
05-23-2006, 06:18 PM
Hey everyone. I am working on a black G35 (what else?) that the customer just picked up from the dealership. When he dropped it off the overall condition was not good, but not hideous. As far as the customer knew it was original paint - it looked original to me.

I decided to set out first with Menzerna IP on an orange LC pad - this has been a good combo for me and black cars. Everything went fine, did the whole car and a large majority of the swirls/scratches etc were removed. I was left with a haze which I find is normal with this combo.

Normally I follow this up with either Megs Speed Glaze, Opt Polish, SFX-3, or FPII. Today I grabbed Opt Polish and went to town with a white LC pad. After two panels I noticed the haze was still almost entirely there, so I switched to speed glaze on a white pad - same result; the haze wouldn`t budge. I decided to give a less abrasive combo a try just to see what would happen, so I went with SFX-3 on a white; nothing. OK, SFX-2 on a white; nothing. SFX-2 on an orange... slight improvement (and I mean slight). Opt Compound on an orange; worsened the haze.

So I`m kind of in a quandry. Nothing on a white pad is putting a dent in this hazing. Opt Compound and FPII on an orange both made it worse (FPII made it much worse). SFX-2 made it slightly better, but not great.

Before I quit for the night I tried AIO on a white, nothing. Clearkote VM on a white and black, again - nothing.

Overall the condition of the car now is that it is virtually flawless....except for this godforsaken haze. I have no idea why this haze is being so stubborn. I`ve used IP and an orange on probably 10 black G35`s now and have not had this issue (haze always clears right up).

Someone give me an idea! :)

imported_Picus
05-23-2006, 06:42 PM
Update - went back downstairs because I had an idea.

I tried ScratchX of all things in a small spot on an mf and lo and behold it actually removed a large majority of the hazing in the area I rubbed it into. Now, I am not ScratchX`ing the entire car unless I have to.

This leads me to believe a rather mild combo should remove the hazing, but as mentioned I tried sfx-3, OP, FPII, AIO, and VM with no results.

Ideas?

imported_Picus
05-23-2006, 06:50 PM
Some pictures of what I`m dealing with. It looks worse in the pics than it actually is, but you can get an idea. I`m sure you`ve all had hazing like this at one point or another, I know I have - just can`t seem to conquer this one.

http://gtaindetail.com/fp/haze1.jpg

http://gtaindetail.com/fp/haze2.jpg

http://gtaindetail.com/fp/haze.jpg

holland_patrick
05-23-2006, 07:01 PM
I feel for you and no you know why we have a large colletion of products . I too have been there when working on a truck but i was on the otherside nothing was cutting the CC so i could clear it up.. I finnaly when with propolish with a wool pad..

Now for your problem. I find that FP II is my go to finish polish on black but i`m a rotary guy.. are you using a PC?? I have only applied wax and such with a PC..

some things to try..

SSR 1 or 2

propolish(if you do have this you should it`s a GREAT GREAT product.)

the only other thing i would get is some edge blue polishing foam I feel it`s the best hands down

imported_Detailing Technology
05-23-2006, 07:07 PM
My 06 Saab looked like this after I used the Porter Cable with a Wolfgang grey pad and SSR 1. The clear is fragile in my eyes. I ended up switching to a Edge 2000 green waffle pad and SSR 2.5 then a Edge 2000 green waffle pad and Menzernal Final Polish II. It got the hazing out, the finish is top notch.

I also had to use the PC at speed 5 for a much longer time than usual. New car, new procedures for everything.

imported_Picus
05-23-2006, 07:20 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I am working by PC - I do have a rotary but at this point I think that would only make the hazing worse. I don`t have propolish and couldn`t get any locally. I will definitely pick some up for future use. Isn`t it a non-abrasive cleaner?

I forgot to mention I did try SSR2, it didn`t do anything. The one area I did manage to get some of the hazing under control on was SFX-2 on an orange followed by FPII on a white followed by FTG on a black. It looks like I`ll just have to do the entire car with a medium combo (sfx-2/orange, OP/orange, ssr2/orange) then follow with FPII on a white and cross my fingers.

Any more ideas are appreciated.

Driven-528e
05-23-2006, 07:24 PM
A mix of OC/OP on a white pad? Think that might save you an extra step? giving you most of the cutting ability of OC, the fine polish of OP, and the more gentle pad... its a thought

good luck! I still cant get over the fact that so many other things have failed. Glad you have a lot of polishes to choose from

imported_Picus
05-23-2006, 07:37 PM
Crap, I forgot to mentioned I tried that too. I also tried pink moose (rmg + VM). The OP/OC combo was mixed about 30/70 OP/OC and didn`t even put a dent in it.

And ya, I`m glad I have a lot of polishes and pads too. I think I am going to try FPII on a blue tomorrow with no pressure whatsoever and see if that does anything. If not I will just do steps like I mentioned above. If none of that works ScratchX it is. :/

It`s just nutty. I`ve had hazing like this on dozens of cars in the past but have never had this kind of trouble taking it out. Hell, my own car is a black G35 so I`m pretty familar with the paint - this one is just totally weird.

Thanks again guys.

s2skimon
05-23-2006, 07:56 PM
^ atta boy !

imported_Picus
05-24-2006, 09:14 AM
Update! I went down there this morning and got to work with FPII on a blue, speed 3, no pressure and lo and behold, it took some of the hazing out.

I then tried a grey LC pad and that seems to be the sweet spot. Speed 3, no pressure at all, *realllllllly* slow passes = perfection.

I`ve done half the car now and I can tell (hope I don`t jinx myself) that this will be the best black paint I`ve done yet. It`s 99.9% marring free. I`m going to go finish it presently; owner picks it up at 3!

Thanks so much guys. :)

s2skimon
05-24-2006, 09:21 AM
^ blue pad , low speed and no pressure ...i wonder who would`ve recommended that.. heh heh

glad you didn`t have to the hand job w/ scratch x

once you move to rotary land, hazing rarely appears this bad. why ? I find using a rotary breaks down and mixes the compounds you used in an entirely different manner.

Accumulator
05-24-2006, 09:33 AM
Glad to hear the FPII did the trick (with the right pad/technique). I was really wondering about this one....

imported_Picus
05-24-2006, 10:03 AM
Har har Simon. You saved the day. Nice call on ScratchX too, we must have thought of it at the exact same moment in time. :)

Accumulator; me too. I have to admit I did swallow a little pride asking at all (it`s the testosterone :P) but I am glad I did, I was really at my wits end last night!

SpoiledMan
05-24-2006, 10:11 AM
When you had trouble with FPII it wasn`t necessary for me to offer my two pennies! From my experience, the owner just isn`t aware that it has been repainted.;)

imported_Picus
05-24-2006, 11:51 AM
When you had trouble with FPII it wasn`t necessary for me to offer my two pennies! From my experience, the owner just isn`t aware that it has been repainted.;)

He just picked the car up - I spoke with him about a possivl\be repaint and he said he`d talk to his sales guy. Nothing he can do at this point, but it would be good to know for future reference. I have to agree with you - this is literally the 10th black G35 from 03/04 I`ve worked on and it reacted compltely differently than any other.

In any event I am very pleased how it turned out even if it took me twice as long as I initially expected. I managed to get some outside shots before he left and will post those later. Here are some inside ones I grabbed after polishing / before wax and dressing.

http://gtaindetail.com/fp/halo1.jpg

http://gtaindetail.com/fp/halo3.jpg

http://gtaindetail.com/fp/halo4.jpg

And two I thought were neat. Yes, I like Spray and Wipe. :)

http://gtaindetail.com/fp/deep.jpg

http://gtaindetail.com/fp/deep2.jpg

Thanks again everyone. You saved me a lot of stress!