PDA

View Full Version : Do I need this?

imported_turbomangt
05-23-2006, 03:54 AM
I spent $950 last year for a yellow pages ad, although I listed it in a book a little farther from me, I monitored the calls I`ve got, around 5, all were price shopping. Yesterday the salesman comes in my shop and wants to sell me another book that covers a closer area. I don`t mind advertising, but I feel it has to money well spent. right now I;m booked solid till end of June, which can be bad because some people don`t want to wait that long. so do I need another yellow page ad? This book however does go to the mail in Sept, which would cover winter months, when I;m slower. any thoughts? Gary

doged
05-23-2006, 05:24 AM
I spent $950 last year for a yellow pages ad, although I listed it in a book a little farther from me, I monitored the calls I`ve got, around 5, all were price shopping. Yesterday the salesman comes in my shop and wants to sell me another book that covers a closer area. I don`t mind advertising, but I feel it has to money well spent. right now I;m booked solid till end of June, which can be bad because some people don`t want to wait that long. so do I need another yellow page ad? This book however does go to the mail in Sept, which would cover winter months, when I;m slower. any thoughts? Gary

The YP in my city sucks!!! I think there is 4 or 5 of them now in my city and they all are very expensive for what it’s worth. I think it’s all how you market yourself in the YP too. A friend of mine owns a very large Janitorial Company and his advertisement in the YP reads, “ ask us why we are the most expensive in townâ€. My friend believes in value and doing a excellent job. He has all the best clients who pay the highest in janitorial services. If you put a ad in the YP that looks like every other ad, you will be answering to price shoppers.

imported_ajbarnes
05-23-2006, 06:58 AM
The YP in my city sucks!!! I think there is 4 or 5 of them now in my city and they all are very expensive for what it’s worth. I think it’s all how you market yourself in the YP too. A friend of mine owns a very large Janitorial Company and his advertisement in the YP reads, “ ask us why we are the most expensive in townâ€. My friend believes in value and doing a excellent job. He has all the best clients who pay the highest in janitorial services. If you put a ad in the YP that looks like every other ad, you will be answering to price shoppers.

Agreed.

I was doing the yellow pages for the past year and a half, and I did get business from it, but not what I expected. Majority of the customer`s were price shoppers and even worse low baller`s trying to under cut my prices. I always thought the YP would be a great marketing tool since several times when I needed some type of service or product, I would refer to the YP for a company. :nixweiss

rollman
05-24-2006, 03:05 PM
Save your money for some other form of advertising . With the internet I rearly go to my YP for a number , the books are to big and there`s to many of them to keep in the house . Unless your ad stands out from all the other`s your only going to get price shoppers.