PDA

View Full Version : Daily driver car care for desert sun?

325isjigga
05-21-2006, 11:07 AM
This summer I will be working out in Death Valley. My car will be outside in the sun all day long. I know it is not wise to put a car cover on a dirty car and since my car is black, the mars and scratches will probably show up even more vs. a white car. I was planning on getting a Sunbrella or Weathershield HD car cover but since I will be out in the desert, it will always get dusty/dirty when I`m driving out to work.

So my question is would you put a car cover on your dusty car? Any other solutions to UV/Sun protection other than a car cover?

Thanks.

jchetty
05-21-2006, 11:40 AM
i wouldnt, i prefer having the dust on my car rather than possible marring from the car cover rubbing against the dirt on the paint..i would definetly get a custom fitted sunshade..the usually go for about $50 online and look into tinting your windows all-round at least 20%..this will preserve the interior, as for the exterior, if you can wax it monthly...a freshly waxed car makes the dirt/dust easier to remove when washing

325isjigga
05-21-2006, 12:31 PM
Are there a rear and side sunshades? I can`t find any place that sells it.

jchetty
05-21-2006, 03:29 PM
i havent seen side and rears..you best bet is to get windows tinted

lbls1
05-21-2006, 03:37 PM
No, never on a dirty car. If a cover is too cumbersome, then develop a regimen where the car will be washed at least once a week, rain or shine. You will accomplish a lot by doing that as opposed to risking streaks and scratches using a cover on a dirty car.

325isjigga
05-21-2006, 07:32 PM
The thing I`m most afraid of is the paint will start to "fade", if that is possible. Would washing it every week help prevent that? Too much washing will reduce my clearcoat right? So a washing every week and a wax every month should be a good regimen to stick by?

VelvetRose
05-21-2006, 07:41 PM
I don`t believe too much waxing can reduce clearcoat. Maybe if you use an abrasive one all the time. I just started using P21S which is just carnuba wax, no cleaners.

My truck is my daily driver and I worry about the sun fading my candy apple flames. I did the Klasse AIO, then Klasse SG (working on 2-3 coats of that), then I plan to top it off with P21S.

I never cover my truck when it`s dusty. I have used my California Car Duster to wipe it down, then I`ve covered it.

lbls1
05-21-2006, 08:01 PM
No, absolutely not. Washing the car (elementary but jfyi) rids the surface of large and small contaminants that can etch into your clearcoat, which can contribute to clearcoat failure. You should wax or seal, in addition to washing, on a monthly basis as a minimum, from 6 months to a maximum of a year b4 re-cleaning the surface with polishing, and starting a new wax or seal regimen.

Whatever you do, the worst thing that you can do to the car is NOT to wash it and detail it with a paint protector such as a wax or a sealant.