PDA

View Full Version : Engine steam clening ?

dimedrol
03-08-2005, 02:46 PM
Hey everyone,
I`am getting a lot of phone calls about engine steam cleaning. Customer usually asks what the difference between steam cleaning and pressure cleaning is. I am telling them that pressure cleaning is the process when grease oil and other substances are washed away with high stream of cold water. Steam cleaning is when grease and oil washed away with hot up to 310 F of steam, basically melting away. A lot of those customers were told by mechanics of various shops that they need their engine steam cleaned (due to valve gasket leakage etc)
Well the problem is the only service I offer is pressure cleaning. What is steam cleaning, how is it done, what is the best equipment for the job. I have done engine cleaning with pressure washer with good results, I only had one problem when i detailed engine of a 1996 Accord, the spark plug boot was up, and the water from my pressure washer got into the cylinder, $75 to fix VS $30 for the engine pressure washing. :ranton

the caveman
03-08-2005, 02:56 PM
I have never done an engine steam clean either but I am sure your job can be just as thorough whith a pressure washer if it is done right. Maybe some one else can tell me other wise but thats all I can say.

Bill D
03-08-2005, 03:00 PM
Here are some examples of the pro steamers available:

http://www.topoftheline.com/eursteampors.html

If you`re going to get into offering this service this is a real good time to look into insurance for your business too. You don`t want to be stuck in a situation where someone claims $1000 + in repairs blaming your cleaning for it :nono

Hawaiianelement
03-08-2005, 05:23 PM
I agree with Bill D , not to mention the mess a gtreasy engine can make . Do you have a shop with proper draining or a catch all for a mobile job?

The customer wants the engine cleaned up so a good degreaser and a pressure washer should be OK. Steam cleaners are great but you can get good results with a can of gunk , some simple green and a washer . I would n`t turn down the business because you don`t have a steamer..

dimedrol
03-08-2005, 06:04 PM
Thanks guys,
I don`t have insurance right now. I have cleaned over 50 engines with my pressure washer and purple power (cheap and deep :)) with good results. Is the steam cleaner all I need to clean engines? How is it works?
Thanks

Bill D
03-08-2005, 07:31 PM
It probably depends on the severity of the dirty engine. Sometimes, yeah , you`re going to have to use a degreaser with pressurized water and maybe even have to follow with steam. The steamer basically boils water and outputs it under high pressure so the force and temperature of the steam produced can dislodge grime from surfaces.

I still would be (even overly) cautious. You might have an unscrupulous client who had some kind of engine problem from the start , had you clean it and then take that opportunity to blame you for the problem. People can be rotten :nono so it`s best to be prepared for stuff like that.

dimedrol
03-08-2005, 10:13 PM
Bill, do you have any inscurance CO that you can recommend? What about my home owners or car inscurance, I thought they cover all that?

Bill D
03-08-2005, 10:45 PM
I`m really not sure as I don`t detail professionally. However,I kinda doubt home owner insurance or car insurance would cover something like this that came as a result of a procedure related to your job.

CharlesW
03-08-2005, 11:40 PM
IMO, the term "Steam Cleaning" is a hold over from the days when that was the only way to clean an engine quickly and thoroughly.
With today`s chemicals and pressure washers, I think you can do every bit as much good, (or damage), with the pressure washer as you will with the steam cleaner.
Rather than invest in an expensive piece of specialized equipment, maybe you can sell your customers on the advantages of cold water pressure cleaning.
1. No steam to seep into the electrical system. (We won`t talk about the high pressure being able to do the same damage.)
2. No superheated steam to bake plastic and rubber parts.
3. Same lack of high heat on painted surfaces.
4. Capability of using low pressure in areas that might be damaged easily.
Probably several more that I`m not thinking of.

Charles

Bill D
03-09-2005, 12:37 AM
If you wanted to keep an economy model on the side there are several available now in about the $60 to $100 price range. I have the Steam Buggy, IIRC, one the first consumer level steamer. I think it was about $120 but I`ve noticed steamer designs and prices have improved rapidly in the past few years. I think Scunci, a design I like a lot better can even be found at Walgreens. Stores such as Wal-Mart, Target, probably other pharmacies and the chain car parts stores all sell them