PDA

View Full Version : Which pad with Klasse AIO on new car-white paint?

FreeBIZZ
05-19-2006, 04:02 PM
I have one more quetion on applying Klasse AIO on a new Subaru Forester-white.

I will clay the car first and follow up with KSG. The car has some dealer-installed light swirls and no scratches.

Directions say to use the white polishing pad with the AIO. Since this will be my first use of the PC, should I be cautious and go with a black finishing pad instead, or am I safe with the white pad?

Thanks, group.

Accumulator
05-20-2006, 08:19 AM
I`d use an abrasive polish to remove the swirls first. Subie clear isn`t all that hard (unless it`s changed since my WRX) but it`s hard enough that the AIO won`t do anything for this.

If you can still find 3M PI-III MG (05937), perhaps at an autobody/paint supply place, it would probably be a good choice.

Once you get the marring out, apply the AIO with a polishing pad. I like those better for this job than finishing pads.

EMazda3S
05-20-2006, 09:25 AM
I`d use an abrasive polish to remove the swirls first. Subie clear isn`t all that hard (unless it`s changed since my WRX) but it`s hard enough that the AIO won`t do anything for this.

If you can still find 3M PI-III MG (05937), perhaps at an autobody/paint supply place, it would probably be a good choice.

Once you get the marring out, apply the AIO with a polishing pad. I like those better for this job than finishing pads.

100% agreed. AIO didn`t do anything for what the dealer did on my titanium grey car even though it was quite minimal and I asked them not to do anything!.

I used PB`s SSR 2.5 and then AIO and all was well. No doubt the 3M would work perfectly as well but do something to get rid of the swirls first and then AIO away. I used AIO with a polishing pad. I don`t even own a finishing pad.

Eric

FreeBIZZ
05-20-2006, 04:23 PM
I did the car today-----white Subaru Forester-6 weeks old. Things went really well considering this was my first detail using a PC and some of the more premium-type products. The PC is a snap to use BTW.

*wash-PB SSS w/foam gun

*clay-had to get an OTC-used Meguiars and it was my first clay job. got er done in 40 min.

*Klasse AIO applied by PC and combo MF bonnet and towel wipe off-about 1-1/2 hrs.

*Klasse SG applied by hand with MF pad, used WOWO method with MF-about 1 hr.

Results look very good, but hard to tell for sure in garage. I can`t see any swirls. Ther was only a couple from the dealership, but can`t see them now. Used the white polishing pad. Maybe I`ll still see them when I get it back into the sunlight. My wife was very pleased (her car).

Finished detail on wheels, wheel wells, door jambs, etc. Did entire interior w/protectant, stoner on the glass, vacuum, etc. I`ll add 2 more coats of SG in the next 2 weeks.

Total time spent about 6 hrs.

Thanks everyone for all your tips----it was a big help and made this job go quite smoothly.

Next up, my VW GTI-Red-also new. I`m going with clay, PB PWC, and EX sealant as the paint on this one is in nearly perfect condition. I`ll probably top with a couple layers of Nattys Blue after 2-3 coats of the EX.

Accumulator
05-21-2006, 08:43 AM
Glad it turned out so well! The swirls are only an issue if somebody`s bothered by the ;) I bet your wife will be very happy with how it looks for a good long time.

That was a lot of work to complete in (only) six hours :xyxthumbs And the KSG work will go a lot faster after you`ve done it a few times (I use it on a *minivan* and I go slow, and it doesn`t take all that long).

FreeBIZZ
05-22-2006, 04:44 AM
Glad it turned out so well! The swirls are only an issue if somebody`s bothered by the ;) I bet your wife will be very happy with how it looks for a good long time.

That was a lot of work to complete in (only) six hours :xyxthumbs And the KSG work will go a lot faster after you`ve done it a few times (I use it on a *minivan* and I go slow, and it doesn`t take all that long).

Thanks for the kudos~! The time was reduced because the interiuor didn`t take too long, and the car is only 6 weeks old. The shine looked even better the next day while sitiing in the garage. It will go outside today to face the elements.