PDA

View Full Version : Tips

onin24eagle
05-19-2006, 11:08 AM
Just curious if it is customary to tip a detailer? Who tips? How much customary? If I hire a shop to buff my ride is he/she going to expect a tip?

Thanks

Envious Eric
05-19-2006, 11:16 AM
its a service industry...i feel you should tip if there are employees. If its the owner coming out to do the work, then it up to you....its all profit minus a little for product use, so tipping is at your will....tipping usually is in the 15% range, but more like 10-20 bucks for full details for me...if I chare 200 for a full detail, the customer is not usually going to tip me 30 bucks, more like 20 bucks....

onin24eagle
05-19-2006, 12:05 PM
its a service industry...i feel you should tip if there are employees. If its the owner coming out to do the work, then it up to you....its all profit minus a little for product use, so tipping is at your will....tipping usually is in the 15% range, but more like 10-20 bucks for full details for me...if I chare 200 for a full detail, the customer is not usually going to tip me 30 bucks, more like 20 bucks....

Cool, that is the info I was looking for.

What if it is a mobile guy who also owns the company?

Envious Eric
05-19-2006, 02:13 PM
well that is the way I am setup....mobile, but I use their water and electric, but I go to them....its cool because I dont have to lug around a trailer with me and sucks because I get phone calls asking for washing only and cant really detail in a parking lot without water supply as some cars are too dirty for QEW...

but being mobile you have to factor in you are saving them money by them being able to stay home and carry on with their day/time while their car gets polished up....make sure you mention that and some people might just tip you....otherwise, consider the 10 bucks a detail for product cost and account the 130 other dollars as a giant tip....hahaha :LOLOL

AMDin93103
05-19-2006, 05:08 PM
IMO, if you are receiving tips on a regular basis, you may not be charging to your full potential. I factor tip into my services and do not expect one from my clients. When I do receive a tip, it is documented and on their next service I make sure to do something above and beyond that compensates for the amount I received. My way of saying "Thank you."

jimmybuffit
05-19-2006, 05:43 PM
We recieve tips rather infrequently... I think it has to do with our fixed (upscale) location.

Today I/we recieved $300 for a $225 (black) exotic detail. I`ll buy beverages and snacks for the staff (3-4). They appreciate that more than a four way split of a tip...

Jim

imported_Detailing Technology
05-19-2006, 06:00 PM
I`d tip if the person did a good job no matter what the situation. Just me, I like to be remembered next time around. (unless the person would get offended by the act)

doged
05-19-2006, 06:25 PM
Tips??? Your not charging enough!!!

onin24eagle
05-19-2006, 07:52 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I was just curious. I didn`t want to pay $200 for the detail, not tip, and then have him drive off cursing me.

rollman
05-21-2006, 06:39 PM
Tipping is a way of saying your appreciate the service or job done . If you feel like the person providing the service went above and beyond to make you a happy customer then be all means tip them . :buffing:

Scottwax
05-21-2006, 10:04 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I was just curious. I didn`t want to pay $200 for the detail, not tip, and then have him drive off cursing me.

I never expect tips but I do appreciate them. I charge what I believe my work is worth and if they want to toss in a bit more, great. If not, I still got what I felt I deserved anyway.

It is more customary for regular customers to tip at Christmas (as in weekly, bi-weekly or monthly customers).