PDA

View Full Version : Chicago buffer

pappy
03-08-2005, 12:02 PM
found this.....this price is incredible....we just bought 3 of them for the place i work at.....even though there is only 2 of us working...but its such a good deal. i used one of these models last year when they were like 100 bucks or so...it worked fine.....so if u wanted to get into a rotary this may a good opertunity to do it since its cheap.....so if u dont like using it it wont be to bad of loss.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?function=Search

CharlesW
03-08-2005, 12:58 PM
Pappy:
That link didn`t work for me.
This one did (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Category.taf?CategoryID=105&pricetype=)

Is this the unit you were talking about?

Charles

CARGUY
03-08-2005, 01:21 PM
I`ve been buying Harbor Freight`s tools for the past several years and like you, I saw the same ads (not to mention the sale flyers that they`re sending to our home about two to three times per week not to mention the emails). I guess once you place an order with them they think that you`re a customer for life. I also have been looking at their two buffers. The problem that I have is that the one that they currenty have on sale for only $24.95 looks like an amateur`s buffer and the one that sells for $59.95 says that very nasty word "electronic". I don`t know about your experience with products but when I think back, a lot of the products that I`ve purchased in the past that were electronic have ended up in the trash can. I`m in the same boat as you...should I wait for the $59.95 variable speed `electronc` model to go on sale (probably soon since Spring season is coming up) or buy the dual speed Sander/Polisher that`s on sale now for only $24.95.
Harbor Freight`s prices are usually fantastic but watch them because sometimes they send a catalog saying 50% or 70% off when the prices in the catalog are really their regular price.

pappy
03-08-2005, 05:10 PM
ive used this same one for a year....and it works great....i dont see why u say its an amateur`s buffer......a buffer is a buffer......i dont give a crap if its cheap...it still spins and thats all a buffer is supposed to do.....ive worked with it on boats costing over millions of dollars and the people are happy with the work that me and my boss do. its not like it dosnt do the job. I dont care if it has an special features cuz they just get in the way. I am a professional in the boat detailing field...not an amateur and i use it......so i guess people can make that desision on there own.

oh and yes that link is correct

and its not like its made cheap....ive dropped it off boats onto the dock before and it still works fine and dandy

zainoshine
03-08-2005, 06:26 PM
Jimmy Buffit has used this buffer for some time....here`s a link (http://autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30305) to a thread on Autopia all about this machine. As you can see, it appears that this buffer has been "on sale" for quite some time, so I doubt the deal will run out soon.

mgm2003
03-08-2005, 06:58 PM
I`ve never used this product, but something in the back of my mind says `you get what you pay for`.

pappy
03-08-2005, 07:01 PM
ok well here is some ? a post from there. id like to answer

Lets see...Quietness...`ve heard that the Chicago Electric one is noisy

Variable Speed Control - but I bet on these cheaper ones you just set the speed with the dial, and the trigger turns it on or off.

Size & Comfort Chicago Electric tool length: 17"!, . The large size of the Chicago Electric one scares me, I`m not sure if I like the loop style handle, seems like high-end ones don`t have it, and I don`t really see the need.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Ok quietness.....for me not a big factor...cuz i do boats not cars. i guess if ur in a shop or ur own private garage its not a big deal either..ive used the dewalt rotary and i think there about the same.

speed control.....i guess its all in what u like. for me i like it that its a on-off trigger not a varible. cuz after a whole day holding it i would think ur finger would get tired trying to hold the triger in half way. but if its on-off u i dont think its as bad. but thats me. this one is just what u want and ur oppinion. i guess if u like the PC its about the same thing.....

size...yes i suppose it does probally weigh more then some but i have to hold it standing up, laying down, hanging off the dock or boat almost upside down. and i have no problem holding it almost the whole day...and i only weigh like 130 pounds....so unless ur two u would be able to handle it. and i guess 17inches...dont know what to say...just how the made it. i dont have a problem with space really.....

and another point....last year i was buffin along on this boat and this machine kinda sucked in a rope that i was getting close to...it snapped the line...and it wasnt just alil thing...it was holding a 40 foot boat...so it was fairly decent size......and the rope didnt look that old.....so it got power.....

just thought i let u guys know what kind of machine this is.

emetzger
03-08-2005, 07:56 PM
i have this buffer. for 25$ it is a steal. sure the dewalt is better but for that much money I dont see a diff. i had a dewalt when i worked in a bodyshop. awsome machine. but now i use the pc 90 percent of the time and the chicgo buffer the rest. its not that noisy. you can adjust the speed while it is running. soom waxes we pay more than that for. if you are thinking of a rotary for extreme swirls diffinatly get this

CARGUY
03-09-2005, 08:08 AM
"ive worked with it on boats costing over millions of dollars"

???????????????????

CharlesW
03-09-2005, 08:15 AM
"ive worked with it on boats costing over millions of dollars"

???????????????????A million dollars for a boat is pretty easy for the "Rich & Famous" to spend. I have a friend that has a 65 footer that was slightly ove 2-1/4 million dollars.
I don`t have 23 grand in two, but I`m also not "Rich & Famous". :D

Charles