PDA

View Full Version : Best Polish for PC7424

thai626
05-18-2006, 01:24 PM
Hey all,

I just got my porter cable and was wondering what the best polish is to use with the porter cable random orbiter. I would like the polish to be able to remove light/medium swirl marks and oxidation.

Since I want to work on it this weekend, I was wondering what is the best polish I can get at a local auto shop. Then I would like to know what is the best one to buy online.

I just recently bought the meguires scratch X but I don`t think that it is the correct remover to use with the PC 7424, so I`ll probably return it.

Currently, I have the following items:

PC 7424

- Pinnicle clay bar + spray and 2 MF towels

- Meguires Scratch X

- Meguires Gold wax

- orange pad (for polishing)

- gray pad (for applying wax)

- white pad (for ? )

Accumulator
05-18-2006, 03:22 PM
thai626- Welcome to Autopia!

Which polish will depend on a few things: what paint you`re working on (hard/soft), how many polishing steps you want to do (one or many), and to a lesser extent which Last Step Product (LSP, "wax") you plan to use.

There are lot of different pads out there these days, but I`d guess that you`ll use the orange pad for the more aggressive polishing and use the white pad for milder polishing (which might/might not be required as a follow-up).

A good starting point is Meguiar`s #80 Speed Glaze. Don`t mind the name, it`s a mildly abrasive polish that works well by PC.

It`s sorta working outside the box, but some people have done OK using the Scratch-X by PC, at least IIRC. Never tried it myself though.

I`d think you`ll need more MF towels.

GeneralEclectic
05-26-2006, 01:47 PM
What kind of towels?

bronze2006
05-26-2006, 08:23 PM
MF = microfiber

GeneralEclectic
05-27-2006, 08:17 AM
Heh. Yeah, I realized that sometime last night. It just struck me sort of funny. The posters use a lot of TLAs here that aren`t explained (at least that I could find) anywhere, so I suppose my imagination was groping for anything that fit. It would be really helpful for those of us who don`t own a secret decoder ring if one of the regulars would summarize the acronyms for us (Autopia) noobs. This site reminds me a lot of BobIsTheOilGuy in the type and style of posters. BITOG has a sticky on their `site forum` where all the terminology is explained for newcomers. It`s very helpful there, as it would be here.

Sorry for the thread hijack -- now returning you to the original question.

BTW, while there are many fish in the sea, and the discussion of these products has clear overtones of religious devotion, for better or worse, I like and use nearly exclusively the Meg`s professional line of products. I find that an appropriate match of product and pad, with a robust rotary buffer gets the job done, as well as reasonable to expect for any given vehicle, in a minimum amount of time.

J.J.
05-27-2006, 08:23 AM
Secret decoder ring is located on the home page upper right hand corner.

jdhutchin
05-27-2006, 09:27 AM
There really is no `best polish` for anything, it depends what you need done. I wouldn`t try the scratch-x by PC, I`ve read of some problems doing that. The Sonus stuff seems pretty easy to work with, also PoorBoy`s SSR line is good by PC. But it really depends what you`re trying to do as to what polish to use.