PDA

View Full Version : The car has been keyed, how to remove it?

Pages : [1] 2

PZR
05-18-2006, 11:04 AM
Well, some **** has just keyed the car whilst parked in the supermarket car park, and it now has a nice swirly scratch on the door panels, i tried rubbing it with my finger and it came off somewhat, but it`s still there.

Do you have any ideas of how to get it back to it`s previous glory?

i was thinking possibly Meguiar`s clay or something?

I`ll put some pics up in a second, thanks for the help.

The smudged area is where I tried to rub it out

http://www.twobeds.com/upload/userfiles/pzrpics/scratch.jpg

http://www.twobeds.com/upload/userfiles/pzrpics/scratch2.jpg

http://www.twobeds.com/upload/userfiles/pzrpics/scratch3.jpg

http://www.twobeds.com/upload/userfiles/pzrpics/scratch4.jpg

http://www.twobeds.com/upload/userfiles/pzrpics/scratch5.jpg

EMazda3S
05-18-2006, 11:15 AM
Clay is not going to remove a scratch.

You will likely need to polish it out with something fairly abrasive and if you can really catch it with your fingernail, then you may need to wet sand. Do some serious searching and reading here before you attemot to remove it. It can easily be made worse if you don`t take care of it properly.

Download the free E-Book, it`s great. Also, do searches for scratch removal, wet sanding, polishing, use of the PC and different types of polishes and scratch removers.

You can attempt do do it by hand using an OTC product such as Meguiar`s Scratch X or something similar. Again, I would recommend searching and reading for a while first and taking the advice of experienced Autopians.

More than anything, welcome and enjoy your stay! I know I can`t go half a day without a fix here.

Eric

Edit: I just saw your pics. I`m so sorry. This is what we fear. Freakin` animals out there.

I can`t tell how deep these are. You may need a professional if you haven`t done this before. I`ll refrain from more comments because I`ve never dealt with this much before.

victory
05-18-2006, 11:17 AM
Shame you didn`t catch the guy and grind his face through the asphault. Chicken````s like that should be put to death.

Megs ScratchX by hand might do the trick. Doesn`t seem all that deep if some rubbed off with your finger. But if it is deep it might require something more drastic.

PZR
05-18-2006, 11:19 AM
Shame you didn`t catch the guy and grind his face through the asphault. Chicken````s like that should be put to death.

Yeah i`m feeling the same right now.

Cheers for the advice EMazda3S.

Might be a bit more serious to get out by hand than I thought then?

It`s on two door panels and another scratch at the rear.

How much do you think it`d cost and how easy would it be to get it out my self?

I can take it back to the mitsubishi dealership if it`s going to cost alot, I thought i`d see if I could do it my self first though.

Megs ScratchX by hand might do the trick. Doesn`t seem all that deep if some rubbed off with your finger.

Yeah, as you can see, the bit I rubbed out is quite alot less noticeable, and I can`t really feel the scratch with my finger, only a tiny tiny bit.

tom p.
05-18-2006, 11:24 AM
Well, some **** has just keyed the car whilst parked in the supermarket car park, and it now has a nice swirly scratch on the door panels,

WOW, someone doesn`t like you. It`s weird there are so many 1st posters here with this issue. It sux.

You`re looking at a repainted panel if you can catch a fingernail in the scratch.

You may elect to head straight to a professional and let them take care of it properly with the appropriate chems and equipment. It will likely be the same cost for you to go out and buy a bunch of "potions" that may or may not work.

It`s hard to gage from these pictures, but a professional may be able to make most of that vanish!

Good luck.

PZR
05-18-2006, 11:25 AM
You`re looking at a repainted panel if you can catch a fingernail in the scratch.

I can`t catch it with my fingernail, But I can feel it on my fingertip if you know what I mean?

victory
05-18-2006, 11:27 AM
It might require machine polishing, but i used to drive a white crown victoria and the dashlight for fireservice and my dark tints made it look like an undercover car. I got keyed all the time. Over 5 years I got pretty good taking out scratches by hand. ScratchX is one of the better products to use by hand and relatively safe. If it doesn`t take out the entire scratch you`re only out a couple bucks and I don`t think it will make it any harder for a pro to do his job.

antidote11
05-18-2006, 12:06 PM
Seems odd that they would just pick your car and key it. 9 times outta 10, you know or know of the person that keyed your car. The other 1 time outta 10 is just haters hating on a nicer ride than they have. So, who have you pissed off lately ??

PZR
05-18-2006, 12:09 PM
. So, who have you pissed off lately ??

I don`t know anyone around here, so no one, lol.

Nor have I pissed anyone off either.

The side of the car they keyed was facing away from the supermarket and anyone who might walk by, but there was another car next to it, so that`s the only reason I can think of why they`d of keyed it.

Or maybe it was just jealousy :bawling:

blackrex
05-18-2006, 12:14 PM
As bad as it looks, I think that will polish out. Bring it to a good detailer if you don`t have PC or rotary.

PZR
05-18-2006, 12:16 PM
As bad as it looks, I think that will polish out. Bring it to a good detailer if you don`t have PC or rotary.

The most i`ve got is a lint free cloth and a sponge :p

I`ve got the mitsubishi dealership over the road where it bought it from, and they valet it every service and MOT and always do a really good job, so I think they should be able to do it, i`ll see how much they`ll charge for it.

antidote11
05-18-2006, 12:16 PM
That just sucks!! I had someone key my 2001 Prelude after I had it for only 3 months.

Some a-hole in my apartments was pissed that I was parked in thier spot, even though it was first come first serve parking. If I would have seen them doing it, I would have killed them. Literally !!

SenojNW
05-18-2006, 06:50 PM
Looks like a respray job if you want it to look new - sorry!

imported_themightytimmah
05-18-2006, 08:58 PM
You`re definetly going to need to respray to get it 100% and sun perfect. To get it 5-foot good, with moderate lighting, some 2000 grit sandpaper and a rotary/wool pad should do it. I`d look for a competent professional in your area, it`s pretty easy to do some real damage this way.

P.S. That really sucks man, it`s a shame you did`nt catch them in the act. However, you got somewhat lucky, those aren`t all the way through the paint in most places. I`ve seen similar damage a lot, most people who key cars don`t use enough force to get through the basecoat. I had one girl tell me that she tried to key another guy`s car but couldn`t get the key all the way through the paint :shocked. Needless to say, I let her have it for that.

osc4m
05-20-2006, 09:06 PM
My 05 Tundra was keyed today. It looks like they didn`t get past the clear coat. :furious:

My brother is lending me his machine polisher, but I don`t know how to use it due to it`s various speeds. I think I`ll stay away from it, don`t want to put swirls in the clear coat. From what I`ve read Meg`s Scratch X should do the job?