PDA

View Full Version : How long do I wait...

Diesel917
05-18-2006, 05:15 AM
before I can detail a panel that was partially repainted due to some body work that was done on it? Summer is around the corner and my car needs some help with swirls... So what should I do?

imported_Detailing Technology
05-18-2006, 05:20 AM
Was is painted properly and baked in a heated spray booth?

If so, I woulnd wait much at all, 1 week of 75 degree days. I think the "out gas" theory is a little blown out of proportion. I understand waiting while you are doing the body work, waiting for the filler, primer, and basecoat to dry not just flash. Once the clear is on and baked, I dont see the 30 day rule of thumb valid.

Accumulator
05-18-2006, 08:29 AM
We need a sticky on this.

A while back an autopian (MirrorFinishMan) contacted all the major paint manufacturers. They confirmed what some of us have been saying all along:

Assuming the paint was mixed properly and baked, it still takes 90-120 days to cure/outgas. You shouldn`t wax/seal until that amount of time has passed. Period- *every* paint maker said this. I forget the title of the thread but it`s here if you want to search on it, there was no ambiguity in their official responses.

My experiences (dozens of cars painted over the last 30 years) mirrored this advice. I can often smell the outgassing after more than 3 months and I can definitely tell that the paint continues to harden over a long period of time.

You can polish, but don`t wax/seal. There`s a recent thread started by TallTorontoGuy (IIRC) where I just posted a long, detailed reply about what to use during the different stages of the curing period. Short answer: paint is soft after spraying and gets harder over the first ~2 months. Gotta match the pad/product/process to the paint`s hardness at the time you work it.

MorBid
05-18-2006, 10:43 AM
We need a sticky on this.

I`m sooooo with you on that one. :grinno:

Every time this question get`s asked there a way to many answers when there is only one.

Which is what you said. Whatever amount of time the Product Sheet for that Clear Coat says on a re-finish. If the car is new off the lot then the time has already passed, go ahead and seal/wax till you drop.

imported_Detailing Technology
05-18-2006, 11:36 AM
I`m sooooo with you on that one. :grinno:

Every time this question get`s asked there a way to many answers when there is only one.

Which is what you said. Whatever amount of time the Product Sheet for that Clear Coat says on a re-finish. If the car is new off the lot then the time has already passed, go ahead and seal/wax till you drop.

That I agree with. IF the product sheet says 90 days for wax, then its 90 days. But you can polish the hell out of it until then.

Accumulator
05-18-2006, 03:27 PM
Yep, and sometimes polishing before it gets really hard can save you a lot of headaches.

When they fixed the S8 I was able to polish out 2K scratches easily by hand at around 2 weeks, but by the time if finished curing 3 months later even light marring called for the rotary! Sure glad I did the nasty correction while it was still soft.