PDA

View Full Version : Noobs need some guidance

yiksing
05-17-2006, 02:19 AM
Hello everyone,

Just got tired of doing everything by hand and got myself a Bosch Random Orbital Sander (I was told it was a Polisher) Model: GEX 270 AE. I lived in a 240v country so I was unable to get a PC or other brands that have been mentioned here in the forum. Anyway I have a few questions for the pros out there:

1. In comparison with the PC, my machine has an eccentricity of 4mm, a no-load speed of 7500 - 12000 rpm and a no-load oscillation rate of 15000 - 24000 rpm. How does eccentricity affect polishing and would the overly fast rpm means impossible to work with in terms of scratch removal and possibility of introducing more swirls.

2. The general idea with regards to polishing is that you do not use different products on the same pad. I have access to the Meguiar`s Polishing Pad 8006 and 9006. Let`s say if I use the 9006 pad with a polishing product but falied to remove the swirls, can I use the same pad with a more agressive product or is it a must to switch to a fresh pad (same spec) with the more agressive product?

3. Does a good polishing job meant totally swirl free even under flourescent light. I can get my car all shiny but up close with a torchlight in hand, I can still see swirls.

Thanks in advance.

P.S Feel free to flame me if I asked repeated annoying questions but I did do a lot of searching prior to registering.

yiksing
05-17-2006, 07:05 AM
bump

Anyone

imported_steveo3002
05-17-2006, 12:24 PM
ok , a pc has a bigger eccentricity, your machine sounds like its too fast, im not sure what speeds a pc does

yes a perfect polishing job means no swirls even under strong light...not everyone chooses to go that far but its possible to do so if you wish

SenojNW
05-17-2006, 05:43 PM
1) I am in Australia and also couldn`t get a PC. I use a RO sander along with a lot of other Australian Autopians. The specs are confusing - the speeds stated on your machine are exactly that "no-load". There is no way it will hit those speeds under load as there is no drive on the rotation - only on the oscillation/eccentricity. Larger eccentricity means more aggressive polishing power - 4mm is OK. I operate my GMC on speeds between settings 1-4 with no problems. Bence can really help out with explanation on these issues - Bence?

2) I use Sonus pads not Megs but I would say change pads between products then you know what you are dealing with (just wash them!).

3) Up to you! If it is a showcar then yes - swirl free. If it is a daily driver - your call - I go for "swirl improved" :)

Have fun!

yiksing
05-17-2006, 07:07 PM
Thanks for the reply, I have a few questions:

1. The rpm ranges that the PC have, is that a no-load or load rpm?

2. How do I find out what setting on my machine corresponds to the recommended rpm of 1200 - 2000 as normally specified by polishing product or other forum guides? I find that if I raise the settings sometimes, my machines wobbles less.

3. With regards to changing pads during experimenting with best combination of polish and pads, you mentioned to washing them when switching products, would that affect polishing effectiveness due to a wet/damp pad after washing?