PDA

View Full Version : Best way to find swirls for beige metallic car?

imported_mrecktid
05-15-2006, 08:09 AM
Hey guys, I`ve been trying to figure out what the best lighting to use to find the swirls during the daytime when I`m doing some swirl removal. Here`s the car I`m having trouble with (mine).

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a86/mr_ecktid/02_22_3.jpg

I work in the shade, but the sun comes in some areas and it`s real hard to notice the swirls. My halogen 500watt isn`t too bright, should I buy another one to add more light?.....any other ideas?

-Mark

BobD
05-15-2006, 08:11 AM
My preference is halogens.

VroomVroom
05-15-2006, 08:16 AM
Yep. I bought a set of 1500w stand-mounted lights @ Home Depot. I actually wanted to return them because they highlighted too many swirl marks. :)

Seriously - great investment. Not just for detailing - I`ve found myself using these things for dozens of tasks.

seth812
05-15-2006, 08:21 AM
i just picked up a 600w portable halogen lamp from home depot. do you think that`s bright enough or should i exchange it for something a little brighter?

WSUcommuter
05-15-2006, 08:23 AM
I have a twin set of stand-mounted halogens from Sears. They heat the garage well in the winter!

:bigups

imported_mrecktid
05-15-2006, 08:50 AM
I had a 500watt halogen but it wasn`t too bright, I guess I`ll try it again...thanks for the replies.

imported_animes2k
05-15-2006, 08:59 AM
Personally, when working on light colored metallics (or even a darker metallic like my silverstone S2000) I find a high-wattage incandescent to be the best. If you`re going to use the halogens to spot swirls and scratches, it helps to have some distance from the lights and to keep the lights at a bit of an obtuse angle.

twitch
05-15-2006, 09:17 AM
Interesting you should post this. I worked on defect removal this weekend and my coupe is Desert Platinum as well.

I had a real hard time picking out the spots that I wanted to concentrate on. The halogen light I had didn`t show anything. I found the best lights were the two incandescent bulbs on the garage door opener above me. Luckily I had an idea of where the scratches I was concerned about were and I could see them if I got down at an angle.

I became confused for a bit because I hadn`t used a halogen before to find the spots on my car and expected to see swirls like most of the pictures people post.... BUT I didn`t. So I did the best I could with the light I had and took it to the gas station at night. I know this is normally when I see the scratches the most but the paint was smooth as glass. I probably removed about 95% of the defects that bothered me. I will post pics in C&B when I have the daylight to take them. Unfortunately though I didn`t end up with good before pictures because of the whole lighting issue but oh well.

:)

imported_mrecktid
05-15-2006, 10:58 AM
Incandescent light is the white lights at like big parking spaces at the mall right?

Yeah there are two major trouble spots I have (the rear fenders) that is so hard for me to find the right lighting, especially in the shade during the daytime. At night under the parking lights it`s ok, but I still wish I could see swirls like some of the nasty car posted on here. Those seem so obvious.

I guess we`re a bit at a disadvantage twitch with our color ^_^

It`s ironic, when I got the car I got the color mainly because it looked good but also because it would hide dirt/swirls.

Now that I`m an Autopian (not really but I`m working on it!) I wish I could see all the dirt and swirls :(

imported_animes2k
05-15-2006, 11:07 AM
Incandescent lights are regular light bulbs, best used bare (no shade of any sort) and probably clear glass, too.

I think the best lighting setup would be a combination of fluorescent, incandescent spots and halogen work lights.