PDA

View Full Version : College Package

Beason
05-14-2006, 06:09 PM
Well Im going to be heading off to college soon and was wondering what would be a good basic package of what to bring down with me. Cant wash the car with a hose anywhere and not taking all my polishes.

Optimum No Rinse Wash and Shine

2 Buckets

NXT Glass Cleaner

Poorboys Blue Polish with Carnuba

EX

SSR2.5

VM

Meguiars Quick Interior Detailer

Zaino Z-10

1:10 APC

Assortment of MF

PC and a Few Pads

FX Tire Shine

imported_MCA
05-14-2006, 06:32 PM
Looks good to me :bigups

ONR is definitely a versatile product - besides the concentrated form, have a separate spray bottle that you can use for quick detailing...nothing worse that bird baking away in the hot sun. You might want to seal your wheels beforehand as I really don`t know how effective ONR is on brake dust. Good luck in college :xyxthumbs

Beason
05-14-2006, 06:51 PM
I have a tahoe so break dust isnt that big of a problem for me. I might seal it with some #20 or EX-P

kempie
05-14-2006, 07:39 PM
And dont forget pencils & paper.

VWdriver
05-14-2006, 07:45 PM
I have a tahoe so break dust isnt that big of a problem for me. I might seal it with some #20 or EX-P

hahahha, you better get a LOT of towels :)

imported_themightytimmah
05-14-2006, 08:19 PM
I just got back from college, and although I went the "get a friend with a hose" route, here`s some advice:

Go for what VWDriver said and get a *lot* of towels, as it`s not as easy to wash them as it is at home, and you`ll find that they seem to find their way onto the ground and out of their keeping places in a dorm much easier than at home (making them good only for glass/wheels/etc).

Keep a good lineup of products that hide marring. RMG and Spray + Gloss really saved my year, car wise. Between the sand from the beach, people brushing up against my car in the parking lot, stupid f-ing people sitting on it with jeans, etc, it tends to get pretty marred up. You`ll find very quickly that those around you are not very Autopian and don`t really care how well you care for your car or that you don`t find it funny when they pull pranks on it. VM and Blue Natty`s are a really good step in this direction.

The college environment is very tough on cars (parking outdoors, public lots etc) and I`d bet money that your truck will get marred up pretty good. My advice (and what I did) is to glaze/wax it once a month, and save any heavy polishing until you get home for the summer and can keep it perfect.

Sorry if I come off badly, college has just been a really rough year on my GTP and it`s been pretty frustrating, to be honest :hairpull . Hopefully things will work out a lot better for you.

Beason
05-14-2006, 09:04 PM
luckily my brother has a condo just off campus and he said I can store some supplies there and use his washing machine. But the complex doesnt allow washing of cars with a hose. And going from having a enclosed garage to parking in a parking garage will be a tough transition.

mblgjr
05-14-2006, 09:09 PM
Of course, get a container to put all that in..

Make friends with someone that has a house. That way you can have a generally quiet place to work at your own pace and have a water source. Makes life a LOT easier.

Get some rubber floormats if you don`t already have them. Be prepared to have your doors slammed, girls with fingernails and rings to clack them in the door jam area and other "friends" to help you load heavy objects in the back while dragging them across the rear plastic threshhold. Put a rubber mat in the back load floor too. That will save you a ton of effort from having to clean the carpet all the time.

Good luck.