PDA

View Full Version : Need help... do I need a primer for this scrape on plastic?

dalethompson
05-14-2006, 02:26 PM
I have a 1999 VW New Beetle and someone "rubbed" the back passenger side of my car (on the outside wheel well) with their car. Thank goodness the back and front of the New Beetle is plastic... no damage to the actual piece, just paint taken off.

I`ve wetsanded most of it down (to get it smooth) and to take out the fine scratches. Some of the paint has been taken right off, down past the primer I believe. Not sure what colour the primer should be but the colour is currently black (my car colour is bright blue), so I do think it`s gone right down to the plastic base. You can what I`m referring to by the picture I`ve attached.

I`ve tried to use my VW touch up paint on it, then use the Langka paint system to smooth it out but the paint doesn`t wanna bond to the black at all. All the paint just comes off when it`s time to remove it with the Blob Eliminator (Langka), even when allowing it to cure for 3-4 days. It bonds just fine to the scrapes that aren`t so deep, but the deepest ones just won`t keep the paint on.

My question is: Do I need a primer at all for this plastic piece? I`ve cleaned the actual scrape and scratches very well, so I doubt anything is not allowing the paint to adhere to it. It just doesn`t want to stay on the bare plastic at all, which is starting to become a big challenge now :nervous2:

Thanks in advance,

Dale

imported_themightytimmah
05-14-2006, 04:55 PM
If it won`t stick, just scuff the plastic with 400 grit (avoid any paint you want to keep with this step, lol) then primer it, 1000 grit the primer, paint on blue, then langka. I`d reccomend wetsanding the blue over langka, but it`s just personal preference.

dalethompson
05-15-2006, 06:45 AM
Thanks for the info, much appreciated!

I will wetsand then instead of using the Blob Eliminator... I do think it`s too big and deep of a scuff to use the Langka products.

Do you recommend any particular type of primer or does it have to be a primer that is for plastic only? As well, do you think spray or paint on primer is best?

TIA,

Dale