PDA

View Full Version : Zymol Concours vs. Natty`s Blue!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

percynjpn
05-14-2006, 07:03 AM
Well, I finally got to see Zymol in action today. One of my friends has a BMW "boutique" and also sells used Alpinas. He also has a jar of Zymol Concours, which he thinks is the best carnauba in the world. He just had an `86 (I forgot the model :o ) coupe completely repainted in Alpina met blue. I told him that Natty`s would look as good as, or better than the Zymol. He paid about $270 for it a few years back.

Well, I WAS WRONG! :eek: ! I don`t have any pics to show (and you would never see the difference in them anyway), but the Zymol looked much deeper and richer, and just as glossy and wet-looking! Of course, since it cost more than 10 times more, it should, right?

Anyway, though the price may be crazy, it DOES look excellent (at least on that color)! I was impressed - that`s one of the best carnaubas I`ve ever seen on a dark metallic (or any other color for that matter). I won`t be buying any anytime soon, though. . . :wow:

LATE EDIT: Sorry, I forgot to explain that we taped the hood down the middle and applied the two waxes side by side and then compared.

lbls1
05-14-2006, 07:51 AM
Ha!!! All you needed to do was to ask me. A lot of people mistake zymol as being weak and boutique- like with their glazes. The estate wax line is very intense, and its distinguishing qualities (believe it or not) is not only the shine, but the optical range, clarity, and intense color reproduction that they are capable of producing.

In all seriousness, you would`ve needed to find out for yourself. Another revelation of a popular myth: Zymol does last beyond two weeks. Zymol has to dry at least a week before layering (that word again..) with more coats. Concours area of element, from my experience, is between 4 to 6 coats for the best combination of color and depth of reflection. You can add more, of course, but at that point it will be critical that your paint surface should be clean.

The downside: Price, of course. Zymols are very expensive. It is hard to justify the price of some of their waxes, even though they are excellent in quality (about $7000 for their current top of the line).

But in terms of ability, (biased opinion based on trial and error, but trying to be objective) even with good prep work, it will be very difficult to surpass the finish quality of a zymol estate wax.

Keep up the good work. It gets better.

Accumulator
05-14-2006, 09:41 AM
Interesting.

lbls1 is always extolling the virtues of Zymol (and occasionally getting flamed for it)...and now percynjpn, who`s findings/experiences seem to always mirror mine, says the same thing, and I can bet he wasn`t expecting the Zymol to impress him.

I sure wish there were some way around the hand-application...If I could apply by machine I`d probably give it a try, at least on one of the garage queens.

lbls1
05-14-2006, 10:47 AM
I was just like Percyn, and I held zymol in contempt for their ridiculous pricing. I really thought wax could not get better than your store bought mothers or meguiars (not necessarily flaming them).

As for the hand application, I have been so bent on chasing to get to my prime condition that I`ve kind-of gotten used to it. You definitely should not wax if you are in a hurry (I schedule the day or days that I have to wax). It is ashame though (even as a Zymol user) that you have to pay a king`s ransom to get a result like that.

It is for the pricing that I also appreciate qualities that can be found in other waxes and lsp`s. However, for a type of result that I expect (like from car #1), it requires the wax that can deliver.

Accumulator, you know I won`t back down from a fight haha!! I always say to try the stuff first before you say its good or not (even if it hurts the wallet...and it does!).

Mitchubishievo
05-14-2006, 11:26 AM
How about their lower down waxes? For example, the Japon formula...I was wondering if I should try that after my Souveran runs out.

lbls1
05-14-2006, 11:36 AM
You should try a sampling of perhaps three of the handcrafted Zymol waxes (Japon, Carbon, Creme and/ or the color glazes, and several marque specific brands) against Souveran or the last wax that you were using, to see if your results improve. I wouldn`t recommend that you do swatch sampling (square boxed sized spaces on a panel. The results will be clearer if you do them on adjacent quarter panels or even one side vs. another (you will also need a good camera).

DM101
05-14-2006, 01:49 PM
I think it is a toss up between Japon and Souveran. I can`t tell any difference except the smell. But if I HAD to choose it would be Souveran. (Why I don`t know)

How about their lower down waxes? For example, the Japon formula...I was wondering if I should try that after my Souveran runs out.

bimmerzhp
05-14-2006, 03:47 PM
I too use only Zymol on my 330i (Z3 wax) and 1986 Mustang GT. On my wifes SUV I use NXT. Very good one step, but I will probably switch to Zymol`s cleaner wax when NXT is empty.

lbls1
05-14-2006, 04:09 PM
I may try one of the handcrafted waxes against my P21S, and maybe even a cross comparison with Natty`s for my daily driver. Someone mentioned that the HC Zymols gave it a good beating. I am curious to find out, but I have to admit I am fond of P21S, as it can develop a powerhouse shine if you work at it.

Be careful with the Zymols though; They can be enticing!!!!!

69-912
05-14-2006, 04:28 PM
Excellent information here guys thanks

Mitchubishievo
05-14-2006, 04:30 PM
You should try a sampling of perhaps three of the handcrafted Zymol waxes (Japon, Carbon, Creme and/ or the color glazes, and several marque specific brands) against Souveran or the last wax that you were using, to see if your results improve. I wouldn`t recommend that you do swatch sampling (square boxed sized spaces on a panel. The results will be clearer if you do them on adjacent quarter panels or even one side vs. another (you will also need a good camera).

Where can I get small samples for not too much cash? Thanks to you guys I`m gonna have to get Zymol sooner or later...argh....I HATE YOU AUTOPIA!!! You make me POOR!

lbls1
05-14-2006, 04:49 PM
You could get a "starter" sample kit from either Zymol`s site (yahoo search for zymol since I am at a loss for the exact address), or some of the other retailers that sell zymol. It may end up being cheaper to get it from zymol bc they offer free shipping on a lot of their products.

But do the comparison, so that at least you will know which wax will perform. The sample kits start at a reasonable price, and even the estate waxes can be purchased in sampler kits (which is probably the cheapest way of getting those waxes, since some of them carry the price of a car purchase!).

stilez
05-14-2006, 05:15 PM
They key to a deeper, wetter, richer carnauba is more oil :D. Just look at Souveran!

VWdriver
05-14-2006, 06:35 PM
Does carbon need to be worked in by hand? I applied mine with a normal foam applicator and as far as I could tell it bonded...

SilverLexus
05-14-2006, 06:57 PM
I wish I could believe all the Zymol hype but I have used all their waxes and they are simply not any better than Poorboys or Pinnacle in my opinion and they are decidedly not a great value with respect to price.