PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning and detailing silver cars

yan816
05-14-2006, 12:52 AM
Hi everyone. I found this place during a google search for car care. I have a silver 1997 Mk1 MX5, and am after advice on taking care of the paint work. The car is due to go in for a bit of body work and spraying, in the meantime I am going to start putting together a decent set of cleaning products.

Can anyone advise me on what products I need to get and the best method for applying them? Could you also advise me on the best tyre dressing? I have used Turtle wax wet look on my tyres and it looks great, but does not seem to last.

I would really appreciate any advise that could be offered.

jerry@robs
05-14-2006, 01:44 AM
Hello and welcome, this should help http://guidetodetailing.com/

yan816
05-14-2006, 02:29 AM
Thanks for the reply. I have read the guide and am now in the process of putting together a list of stuff I need. So far I am looking at getting the following:

3 x Meguiars Gold Class Microfiber Towels

P21S Concours Wax & Gloss Enhancing Paintwork Cleanser

I want to order all my items in one go, and am after advice on what products bring the shine up on silver paint. :)

shortspark
05-14-2006, 04:44 AM
There are several threads here and in the detail product forum that address silver cars. It might take some time to find them all but you will have lots of good information. I have a billet silver truck (Honda Ridgeline). First of all, do not expect to get the wow or "pop" factor from a silver like you do a darker color - just can`t happen. However, you can come real close.

I like to use the Klasse twins (AIO/SG) although I do have Jeff`s Jett waiting in the wings. I apply AIOx2 and SGx3 twice a year and that is all I need to do. SG can be applied right after the AIO but wait at least 12 hours between SG coats to cure. My QD is Menzerna`s HGAS for restoring gloss and protection after a wash and Poorboys SW for minor clean-up. Most name brand shampoos will work just fine and I`m also a big fan of things like QEW and 4 in 1. I like Meguire`s Endurance or Hot Shine for tires and Protectant 303 for the interior. Get good, quality mf towels (such as Cobra) and a nice sheep mit for washing and you`re set to go. One tip for silver cars - keep the black tires and trim as black and bright as you can. That really helps to set off the entire look of the silver vehicle.

EddieWan
05-14-2006, 07:30 AM
Going to need more than 3 microfiber towels if your going to be detailing the entire car at one time. I actually have 15 and most times I go through most of them though I suppose I could manage with 10 or so. I bought a cheap set from walmarts to do glass and such, then I have 5 of the meguiar`s ones for wax and paint surface stuff. The meguair`s towers are very nice.