PDA

View Full Version : What the hell happened (Poorboys bug squash)

JustinL67
05-13-2006, 11:32 AM
I used Poorboys bug squash as a pre-cleaner like it says in the directions on my front bumper, just rinsed down the bumper and sprayed some spots with the bug squash, I didn`t dilute it because these are bugs that could be like a year old (I just got the car) Well I sprayed it on, then washed the car like normal. After drying I noticed the front bumper has crap all over it,

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b320/JustinL67/DSCN0058.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b320/JustinL67/DSCN0059.jpg

What happened and what can I use to get it off? I have some megs step1, Im going to give that a try in a minute.

JustinL67
05-13-2006, 11:33 AM
Oh btw, I know the paint looks like crap, in its 11 year life the car has never been detailed. Im getting a PC soon and hope to bring it back to life, we`ll see.

mblgjr
05-13-2006, 11:59 AM
That looks rough.

Not sure whether the PB actually penetrated the paint, or the car had already been hit with something and you just uncovered it.

Good luck.

JustinL67
05-13-2006, 12:04 PM
The megs step1 helped, its no longer visible in the shade, but still an eyesore in sunlight. It definantly looks like something the bug squash did because its all over the front bumper but only in the places I sprayed it on. I think it may just be some nasty residue from the bug squash.

Does anyone that uses the produce have any idea what I may have done wrong?

MBurnickas
05-13-2006, 01:08 PM
Yuck, looks like Poorboys is worse than the crusty bugs. I guess you need a Poorboys residue squash. I would try alcohol, if that doesn`t work I would try a degreaser. Incidently, how was it at getting the bugs off? I usually try AIO to get bugs and if that doesn`t work I usually go for paint cleaners or a mild compound like fpII, believe it or not it works good by hand for this.

Setec Astronomy
05-13-2006, 02:45 PM
Looks like it was a little too harsh for the paint. Guess you`re going to need to do some more polishing on those spots. I don`t think the alcohol/degreaser suggestion above is going improve things, this looks more like a pH effect (I forget whether Bug Squash is acid or alkaline, it seems like it should be alkaline). So it`s basically a chemical etch that is going to have to be abrasively polished out. Since the DC1 did something, you can try DC2 or #7, sometimes that helps for etch marks.

Mr. Clean
05-13-2006, 03:25 PM
I`ve used the product full strength to help remove some stubborn tar/road grime. I haven`t experienced a problem like that. I can`t really tell on my monitor, but I can`t see any paint etching. I see the discoloration.

If the DC Step 1 cleaned up the majority, I agree that going to a cleaner/polish should take care of the rest. Or perhaps even a second application step with DC 1. Of course you knew you would be undertaking those steps anyway.

JustinL67
05-13-2006, 07:40 PM
As far as getting the bugs off it didnt do a damn thing, but Im not going to hold that against the product, Im not lying when I say those bugs may be years old, and a friend of mine absolutly swears by the stuff and his car is much cleaner, lol.

JasonD
05-13-2006, 08:16 PM
It almost looks like the product was allowed to dry on the car before it was washed off. Did you wash in direct sunlight? I`ve noticed this when the surface temp of the paint was very high. Also, did you dry the car after washing?

imported_Jeremiah
05-13-2006, 11:46 PM
It almost looks like the product was allowed to dry on the car before it was washed off. Did you wash in direct sunlight?

That was my first thought as well. Can you feel any sort of residue on the paint? I know that in the early to mid 90`s ford had some problems with poor paint quality. Maybe this just hit a sore spot in the clear?

wildboar
05-14-2006, 06:27 AM
Back in my highschool carwash days they used a highly alkaline bug spray to prep the cars before they went down the line and if the paint was oxidized and/or really soft (red) and hot from sitting in the sun, bug spray stuff could create a splashed on look like that.

I`d try something with a little more bite to it than Meguiar`s step 1, like ColorX with a terry cloth.