PDA

View Full Version : Pearl white paint dulled...Please take a look what`s happening

drtech
05-12-2006, 11:06 AM
I have an ivory pearl G35. On one of my fenders, there`s a small part that the paint is dulled. When look in person, it`s whiter at that part and it seems that the metallic coat is lost.

Anyone could help? My cousin guessed that it might be the body shop scratched my fender and over buffed that area so I couldn`t see the scratch and the metallic layer is buffed away.

I didn`t provide any photo cus the problem can`t be show in the photo.

drtech
05-12-2006, 03:57 PM
Please help...

RAG
05-12-2006, 08:57 PM
Take it to a different body shop, or a good detailer, to get their opinion on what happened. If the clear has been buffed through, it`s easy to detect by someone who`s seen it before - there`s no mistaking it.

The metallic/flake is in the paint, not the clear. But I don`t know what else it could be based on what you are describing. If you have a PC or know someone that has a polisher, you can try buffing the spot out...if it is simply dulled it will buff out, and if the clear is gone in that region you will notice the spot start to spread outward (don`t worry, if this happens, it was already ruined anyway...requiring re-paint for sure).

mikeinaustin
05-13-2006, 10:34 PM
i have an 05 g35 coupe in ivory pearl as well. the base coat is a very solid white paint and the top coat is this milky\silvery mica paint, its almost clear but has enough pigment to not be a true clearcoat, but this is what makes our cars pearl instead of straight white.

so i agree that it (the top coat) was probably buffed away or someone put white paint (to cover sometthing up) on top of your pearl. in either case you`ll see what your seeing.