PDA

View Full Version : Dynabrade Orbital Conversion

RAG
05-12-2006, 09:42 AM
Don`t run out and buy one just yet (like I did). I used it a tad yesterday on big detail, but the job was so big (typical black Honda jobber) that I didn`t have time to play around and experiment...also, I don`t have the right size pads yet. With that said, I wasn`t 100% impressed - while the throw is bigger, the speed is slower...so maybe with a bigger pad and usiing a lot of pressure it will be more effective.

With that said, I think I`m still going to make a device to hold two PCs together...now that will get the job done quicker for sure.

jdhutchin
05-12-2006, 09:58 AM
Device to hold 2 pc`s together... they have it, it`s called a cyclo.

RAG
05-12-2006, 10:04 AM
Yeah, but I haven`t been that impressed with the Cyclo...in my experimenting with it...it didn`t remove defects any faster than a PC (which is why I didn`t buy a Cyclo) - because the pads are so small, total pad contact area really isn`t any greater than a PC with a 6.5" pad. And it orbits slower. But two PCs, with two 6.5" pads would really kick some but...though admittingly wouldn`t be good for tight areas.

gbackus
05-12-2006, 10:38 AM
Yeah, but I haven`t been that impressed with the Cyclo...in my experimenting with it...it didn`t remove defects any faster than a PC (which is why I didn`t buy a Cyclo) - because the pads are so small, total pad contact area really isn`t any greater than a PC with a 6.5" pad. And it orbits slower. But two PCs, with two 6.5" pads would really kick some but...though admittingly wouldn`t be good for tight areas.

You can put a LOT of pressure on the cyclo without losing any of the movement, and that`s where the power comes from. You press down that much on a PC with a 6.5" pad and you get a little jiggle machine that won`t do much work. MY only complaint with the cyclo is the POS pads that are available, and the good ones cost too much.

As far as the dynabrade attachment. Try turning up the RPMS on your rotary(2000+) and putting more pressure on the machine. If you still don`t like the dynabrade attachment, I`ll buy it from you.

RAG
05-12-2006, 04:31 PM
Thanks George. I hear you on the pressure thing, but I only use the DA for final finishing on dark colors...and too much pressure usually leaves a bit of micro-marring on most paints (noticable mostly on black). I`ll show you what I mean if we ever put this cross-training deal together. So I`m usually able to apply more than enough pressure with the PC (I`d say I can apply about 15 lbs of pressure before it even starts to slow down), but if one were to use the PC for correction work, being able to apply more pressure without bogging would be nice.

I appreciate the offer...I may take you up on it. But let me try it with the proper pads first (just ordered a few 8" Meguiars yellow pads, as I like the 6.5" versions of this pad). We`ll play with it at the crosstraining (if it ever happens).