PDA

View Full Version : Fabric softer for Polishing towels

RAG
05-12-2006, 07:22 AM
Was just thinking the other day (this usually gets me in trouble)...a lot of my older polishing towels (I like the Elite from Excel) are not as soft as my new ones. Has anyone intentionally used detergent WITH fabric softer on buffing towels (which don`t need to absorb liquid) to see if they stay softer longer?

Wasatch
05-12-2006, 07:26 AM
No, I use Tide Free Liquid, my MFs still feel like day one and the older one`s are over 2 years old.

Deanski
05-12-2006, 07:28 AM
Stay clear of using fabric softeners with MF towels! It has the tendancy to close the fibers.

You could look into degergent designed for MF towels instead.

Once I wash the towels, during rinse, I add one cup of white vinegar to fully remove any detergent left in the towel, then dry them on med to low heat with now drying sheet.

Deanski

EBPcivicsi
05-12-2006, 07:29 AM
Fabric softner = streaks

Actually, I don`t even allow those materials in the house--detergent only.

RAG
05-12-2006, 08:00 AM
Okay, bad idea...which is what I suspected. I too do not let fabric softner in the house and also use white vinegar in the rinse cycle (I wash half the time with Woolite and half the time with Simple Green, and usually do a extra rinse cycle with vinegar...dry on low and remove towels while slightly damp).

Has no one else experienced this...where well-used microfiber polishing towels eventually become a little less soft?

-Lebowski-
05-12-2006, 08:02 AM
I always use softener on our clothing but use chariles soap on the MFs. I acually put 2-4 ozs in the washer empty and run a cycle before washing MFs to make sure that all the tide and downy are out.

EMazda3S
05-12-2006, 08:09 AM
Stay clear of using fabric softeners with MF towels! It has the tendancy to close the fibers.

You could look into degergent designed for MF towels instead.

Once I wash the towels, during rinse, I add one cup of white vinegar to fully remove any detergent left in the towel, then dry them on med to low heat with now drying sheet.

Deanski

To echo, never use fabric softner and do make sure your washer is clear of it when washing the MF`s. I will second the white vinegar!!!!!!

Distilled white vinegar has rejuvinated my MF`s. It gets out all of the residue and makes them MUCH fluffier and softer. I use about 1/2 to 1 cup depending on the amount of towels in the wash and I add it to a second rinse and it is just magic.

The Charle`s soap mentioned and/or the specific microfiber wash products likely work too and I will ultimately get some but with just some liquid detergent and the vinegar, I have noticed a major improvement!

EBPcivicsi
05-12-2006, 08:32 AM
Has no one else experienced this...where well-used microfiber polishing towels eventually become a little less soft?

Only with cheap towels. I have pak shaks from 00 that still feel paint worthy--for *my* paint at that.

medic159
05-12-2006, 09:07 AM
Was just thinking the other day (this usually gets me in trouble)...a lot of my older polishing towels (I like the Elite from Excel) are not as soft as my new ones. Has anyone intentionally used detergent WITH fabric softer on buffing towels (which don`t need to absorb liquid) to see if they stay softer longer?

With all the discussion on this site and others on this subject it should be clear: DO NOT USE FABRIC SOFTENER... PERIOD!

Fabric softener in any form (in detergent, rinse additive, dryer sheets) deposits silicone on the fabric to make it appear softer to the touch but reduce absorbency. Also, if your towels are too "soft" they won`t work as well for product removal or buffing.

Ed Fisher
05-12-2006, 11:37 AM
That is a no no... Just wash them with wool shampoo or soft / neutral washing detergent...