PDA

View Full Version : Picus and the Chip Repair

Marj
05-12-2006, 06:59 AM
I read through the chip repair and I didn`t quite understand or unclear about a part of the procedure:

Whether or not you add a layer of clear is up to you. I normally do as I find it makes the paint match better after sanding/polishing.

Do I add the clear after I sand and polish? And if so, would that not add a layer to the paint surface and therefore stand out, because it is raised higher than the surrounding area?

Thanks

Accumulator
05-12-2006, 11:11 AM
You add the clear before you sand/polish.

sumptimwong
05-12-2006, 11:27 AM
Sorry, I have an additional question to add:

Are there any alternatives to clearbra-type products to protect from rock chips? I drive pretty conservatively, and avoid following too close, but late-model Honda CC/paint leaves something to be desired. I have tons of chips on my `05 Accord already, and was planning to use that tutorial to repair them. Anything I can do to prevent further damage without clearbra?

Marj
05-12-2006, 11:52 AM
You add the clear before you sand/polish.

If that is so, then when you sand, aren`t you sanding through the clear to get level with the rest of the paint?

imported_themightytimmah
05-12-2006, 11:58 AM
If that is so, that when you sand, aren`t you sanding through the clear to get level with the rest of the paint?

Well, you put the color coat about even with the color coat on the car, and then add clear so that it bubbles above the clear on the OEM paintjob. You then sand down the new clear so that it matches the level of the OEM clear.

Marj
05-12-2006, 12:36 PM
Well, you put the color coat about even with the color coat on the car, and then add clear so that it bubbles above the clear on the OEM paintjob. You then sand down the new clear so that it matches the level of the OEM clear.

So I next job will be to figure out when the base coat stops and the clear begins.

imported_Picus
05-12-2006, 03:15 PM
Never had my name in a thread title. :)

Accumulator and themightytimmah are correct - you add the clear before sanding, and it should be just at or slightly above the level of the existing paint. You`re not so much concerned with the protection of the clear on a rock chip as you are how well the chip matches. I will often leave clear out if I find the touchup matches perfectly without it.

Cheers.

Marj
05-12-2006, 03:43 PM
Never had my name in a thread title. :)

Accumulator and themightytimmah are correct - you add the clear before sanding, and it should be just at or slightly above the level of the existing paint. You`re not so much concerned with the protection of the clear on a rock chip as you are how well the chip matches. I will often leave clear out if I find the touchup matches perfectly without it.

Cheers.

Thanks, will give it a try. I bought a while back the Norton system, and I have discovered a little trick that is not for the average guy. They give you these little sanding papers, and pads that attach to a small wood tool. You sand and polish with these items in the order and product recommended. The first time, I thought my fingers and hands were going to fall off. So I thought, if I am real careful I can use these products on the DA. Sure enough it works but you have to be super careful because your DA and the uncovered velcro is just an inch or two away from the paint surface. Nevertheless I was done in 5 minutes as opposed to 1.5 hours.