PDA

View Full Version : Upholstery shop in NJ?

2rocky2
05-10-2006, 01:55 PM
Need to get some leather seats repaired... some wear and tear on it and it`s easier for me to drop it off and have them fix it up. On a BMW M3, black seats.

Or so you think I can do it myself in a weekend? I am wanting to try the Leatherique route but.. dunno :) If you think I should, can I just buy the `black` and will that work, or what will I need to do?

Thanks for the advice! :)

Diesel1
05-10-2006, 02:23 PM
I know there is a good shop somewhere in Jersey. I met a guy with a crazy 350Z at HIN who had his interior totally done up. I believe the shop was in Jersey City or somewhere near there (not positive).

Also, you can try to see if Katzskin makes covers for your M. It`s a little pricey, but if you have basic tools and are kind of handy, you can redo the seat yourself. Their leather is pretty high quality (at least the ones I have felt). The total process would be to remove the seat, remove the old leather skin and replace it with the new one. I think the new skins for the 350Z are about $800 for the pair to give you a ballpark.

imported_The Cleaner
05-10-2006, 03:04 PM
Need to get some leather seats repaired... some wear and tear on it and it`s easier for me to drop it off and have them fix it up. On a BMW M3, black seats.

Or so you think I can do it myself in a weekend? I am wanting to try the Leatherique route but.. dunno :) If you think I should, can I just buy the `black` and will that work, or what will I need to do?

Thanks for the advice! :)

Ok, My story - Went the leatherique route initially on my 5 series.

I removed rear seat, extracted a sample of leather and sent to leatherique, they match send me custom mixed dye. I prep and redye front seats. Not good at all. Color/Gloss seems not quite right and noticeable difference from new dyed front seats and untouched rear seats that do not require redyeing.

Was never happy for 6 Months. Found a guy, Leather-Medic Specializes in autos. Bring car to him, Pick Car up 2 hrs later. Dead on match and flat-gloss leather look.

So, I talk to him - How the hell did you get it dead on? Well, he custom matches on-site in the appropiate light - He sprays on the dye, and rubs as necessary.

Nothing against leatherique, I am sure it was me, You are not to shake the leatherique dye, I shook it prior to applying, probably did not prep as completely as I should of, and I brushed the dye on probably too thick. Hey, I tried to be meticulous, but alas, a stonecold newbie at leather restoration.

Bottomline, after I have it done professionally, My wife comes out and looks at the interior and states - So you had it done right, finally :doh

All in all, my take is that this is more of an art form than anything else, thus in IMHO I would go with an experienced professional who specializes in auto interiors, My guy worked several bimmer dealerships - When I asked him to characterize BMW leather interiors, he said they were finicky. You might check with a local BMW dealer in your area and see who they use.

Anyway, Goodluck!

Zinum
05-11-2006, 11:53 AM
Theres a shop in Linden NJ that is known for good work. I believe its called Everlast. Somewhere on st. george ave.