PDA

View Full Version : Quick Zaino help

JMV
05-10-2006, 05:18 AM
okay, so i just started applying some Z5 to my car.... but i can hardly see the `haze` after applying. I`m trying to go real light on the stuff, since its so expensive and all, and because of how much they stress that a little goes a LONG way, but its almost impossible to see the haze when compared to the last product i used, megs NXT wax. Can anyone tell me if i should do anything different quickly, before my ZFX dries up???

Thanks,

Jason

imported_Bence
05-10-2006, 09:40 AM
When our eyes fail detecting the haze, and olfactory perceptions are NOT recommended, we must choose the only remaining way: TACTILE.

Learn how to distinguish the covere vs. uncovered surfaces by going over them with various applicators, towels, sometimes even fingers.

Strong lights with flat angles help though... And 3 thin layers will ensure proper coverage.

Deanski
05-10-2006, 09:49 AM
Zaino really does not haze so to speak. How to tell is a simple test.

With a clean finger, run it over an area. If it shows clear, it`s ready to be removed. If it streaks or does not show as clear, wait a bit longer. Usually 30 mins with ZFX.

3 layers of Z5 then next day, top with Z2Pro. In between each coat, mist on Z6, wipe off the Z6 and then apply your next coat. Each time you do this, Z6/Z5 or Z2, it becomes easier to "flow" on the Zaino.

Remember to use very high quality MF towels or use DFTOWELS or the CBT Towels. If you use cotton, make sure it`s USA 100% cotton. Before using any cotton towel, wash several times to remove any "sizing" and trim off ends or sides that have any finished ends. Most contain poly threads or backs and can scratch a finish. Sure, the towels w/o the ends/sdies will fray, but cut those off and you`re good to go.

Just take your time, you should not be in any rush with Zaino for best results.

Regards,

Deanski

JMV
05-10-2006, 10:08 AM
thanks for the info. I`m using MF towels from exceldetail. On my first coat i applied wayyy too much (see "getting off excess zaino"), but i think i`ve got the hang of it now. I just make sure my applicator covers the entire body panel while its still got some polish on it.

Deanski
05-10-2006, 11:57 AM
I remember using Zaino for the first time and did the same damn thing. I applied it like a paste wax. It took some time to correct it and found that Z7 mixed with distilled water in a spray works very well in removing excess.

Towels should be OK, just keep an eye out on the finish so you`re not rubbing too hard which would give you toweling marks even with MF towels.

I find that waiting is the key. With ZFX, I wait at least 30 minutes even tough it cures faster with ZFX, I`d rather wait.

I`ve ben using the new Z8 Grand Finale spray between coats and for last touch-up QD on the Zaino and HOLY COW is it nice looking! :2thumbs:

So far, I now have 3 coats of Z5 and one coat of Z2Pro on my new Porsche 997 C2S which is all black! Very reflective. I know I have to post some pics, and will soon. FOr now, enjoy the pics I put up in the "Garage" area of my new toy! :D

One day I really have to try the FK1 sealant. Look really good on someone elses Porsche I viewed one day.

Enjoy the Zaino!

Deanski

JMV
05-10-2006, 02:09 PM
i did 2 coats of the z5 and one of the z2..... and MAN does it look amazing. I might end up getting some Z8 down the road a bit, but i couldn`t afford it when i was also buying $100 worth of other stuff.

I`m gonna post up some pics eventually, but i`m no big photography guy, and my only *good* camera is a film one, not a digi.... so we`ll see how that goes.

jeffvb9
05-10-2006, 02:25 PM
I remember using Zaino for the first time and did the same damn thing. I applied it like a paste wax. It took some time to correct it and found that Z7 mixed with distilled water in a spray works very well in removing excess.

Towels should be OK, just keep an eye out on the finish so you`re not rubbing too hard which would give you toweling marks even with MF towels.

I find that waiting is the key. With ZFX, I wait at least 30 minutes even tough it cures faster with ZFX, I`d rather wait.

I`ve ben using the new Z8 Grand Finale spray between coats and for last touch-up QD on the Zaino and HOLY COW is it nice looking! :2thumbs:

So far, I now have 3 coats of Z5 and one coat of Z2Pro on my new Porsche 997 C2S which is all black! Very reflective. I know I have to post some pics, and will soon. FOr now, enjoy the pics I put up in the "Garage" area of my new toy! :D

One day I really have to try the FK1 sealant. Look really good on someone elses Porsche I viewed one day.

Enjoy the Zaino!

Deanski

So I assume you had scratches or swirl marks in your paint since you used the Z5. You said new Porsche so I wasnt sure how many miles are on it. I have a Charger with 3000 miles and I did not get the Z5 because the paint is in perfect condition or at least it will be after I clay it.

imported_memnuts
05-10-2006, 02:54 PM
So I assume you had scratches or swirl marks in your paint since you used the Z5. You said new Porsche so I wasnt sure how many miles are on it. I have a Charger with 3000 miles and I did not get the Z5 because the paint is in perfect condition or at least it will be after I clay it.

Not answering for Deanski but....

If you drive your vehicle or even if it is perfectly new from the dealers lot, it has some surface blemishes and Z5 or a glaze if a carnuaba user, will hide/fill hide those minor imperfection that are not worth clearcoat thinning to eliminate or polishing finish after each wash.

Also Z5 has slightly different optical enhancers that really compliment the final appearance if used alone or in combination with Z2PRO.

Bottomline: Z5 can be used on near perfect finish or to hide minor defects that occur during the course of usage (washing and QD`ing) between major preps. Z5 is great for hiding/filling marring that is in Z2PRO/Z5. Z5 also enhances the appearance of a finish alone or in combo with Z2PRO. I find Z5 essential for any solid dark color. :waxing: