PDA

View Full Version : I`m afraid to get a PC...

jiffy
03-06-2005, 10:10 PM
I would really like to do a little polishing, and then a nice wax once it warms up outside, but I`m afraid to use the PC on my new car.

Not that I think it will do any dammage, but I have 0 experience, and I`m afraid to take the chance.

My friend wrecked his car last week, so I think I am going to swipe the fenders and maybe the trunk lid (although the clearcoat is destroyed on that) from him so I could practice on some stuff first.

Regardless, it still worries me to possible ruin the paint on my "investment"

MS22
03-06-2005, 10:27 PM
There are only a few ways to ruin the your paint with a PC and they mostly consist of dropping the PC onto your car from an elevated height, forgetting to attach a pad and polishing with the backing plate, etc. Do not have any performance anxiety, just get the PC, pads, polishes, and wax and go to town. Read the tutorials first and you`ll be more than ready. Trust me you really have to try, and very hard I might add, to cause damage with the PC. A rotary on the other hand is a different story; but the PC acts in a different way as to not heat up as to where you can burn the paint and induce holograms. The learning curve with the PC almost nonexistant as long as you read how to use it first, there are plenty of good articles. Buy it and I bet that you`ll be comfortable with it in less than 5 uses. Within 20 uses you`ll want to step up to rotary level. It is a very confidence inspiring machine and you`ll be fine with it. Honestly.

GregCavi
03-06-2005, 10:37 PM
:yeah

It is very hard to do any damage.

Greg

joyriide1113
03-06-2005, 10:48 PM
the pc by all means isnt dngerous to use. i mean i think ud need to actually use a wool pad, a heavy vut compound and speed 6 to cause damage...even then using a lighter pad, polish combo would clear it right up... go ahead and get it...u have more chance of damage with your own hand than u do with a pc... trust me, u`ll never go back!

Jngrbrdman
03-06-2005, 10:48 PM
I would love to meet the dude who can do damage with a PC. I honestly don`t know how you would do it. Rotarys are the tools you need to worry about. You would have to think really hard about how to cause damage with a PC. Its not something that would happen by accident. However, if you are worried about using one, then definitely practice. You can practice on your own car if you want to start out with something mild like wax. You don`t necessarily have to start with a cutting polish if you want to get used to the machine first.

Flexin
03-06-2005, 10:56 PM
Its not hard to use at all. Just make sure you have a clean pad and don`t drop it.

James

joyriide1113
03-06-2005, 11:11 PM
It`ll Make That New Paint Of Yours, better

91LSMAN
03-07-2005, 12:15 AM
There are only a few ways to ruin the your paint with a PC and they mostly consist of dropping the PC onto your car from an elevated height, forgetting to attach a pad and polishing with the backing plate, etc. Do not have any performance anxiety, just get the PC, pads, polishes, and wax and go to town. Read the tutorials first and you`ll be more than ready. Trust me you really have to try, and very hard I might add, to cause damage with the PC. A rotary on the other hand is a different story; but the PC acts in a different way as to not heat up as to where you can burn the paint and induce holograms. The learning curve with the PC almost nonexistant as long as you read how to use it first, there are plenty of good articles. Buy it and I bet that you`ll be comfortable with it in less than 5 uses. Within 20 uses you`ll want to step up to rotary level. It is a very confidence inspiring machine and you`ll be fine with it. Honestly.

Well said.

I was VERY hesitant at first. I had always waxed by hand. Then I found this forum and saw the results that people were getting when using a PC with slightly abrasive polishing products. I took the pluge and never looked back, the only bad thing is I`m even MORE of a perfectionist and I tend to crituque my work more than I should. :bigups

Hawaiianelement
03-07-2005, 01:50 AM
just get it already man..you`ll be happy w/ the results..

Don
03-07-2005, 05:38 AM
What everyone else said... plus there are a few more ways a PC can cause damage: Turning it on and letting go, attaching a sandpaper disc instead of a foam pad, and dents from when you accidentally start banging your head on the fender wondering why it took you so long to get one :wall :rolling

joyriide1113
03-07-2005, 09:19 AM
, and dents from when you accidentally start banging your head on the fender wondering why it took you so long to get one :wall :rolling

lol

87 Monte SS
03-07-2005, 11:25 AM
Yeah, it`s true. After about 15 sessions with the PC, you`ll want to get a rotary. THEN you should start worrying! haha. Not really - even if you use a rotary correctly, it still is hard to cause damage. Go get the PC now! :)

rollman
03-07-2005, 05:01 PM
Hey Jiffy
Don`t fear the PC , think of it as your friend , your little helper to make your new car shine in no time. Seriously the only way your gonna damage your new car is throw the thing at it . Other then that your good to go . :bigups

BTW where are you located at ? maybe if your close to another DC`er they might be able to walk you along the path to PC freedom ;)

NYV6Coupe
03-07-2005, 10:57 PM
Only way you`d damage your paint would be if you forgot to put a foam pad on the backing plate or if you held onto the backing plate & buffed the car with the PC (now that`s a visual).

jiffy
03-08-2005, 12:43 AM
Alright everyone, thanks for the "support".

I`m going to be doing some product research over the next few weeks, and then, once its nice outside I will post a pic of my car, to get recomendations on what to use (megs 80/83, ssr2/2.5 etc)

Then, PC HERE I COME!!!

And, rollman, ironically enough you ask where I am from, as the poster right after you, NYV6Coupe, appears to be from somewhere close by.

Thanks again for the replies everyone, I`ll let everyone know when I am actually buying it (probably a month or so)