PDA

View Full Version : Paint-safe washer fluid?

djerickd
05-09-2006, 05:48 PM
I did a search and found this hasn`t been brought up in 2 years and maybe new products besdies P21S and 303 may have been released. So, I`m loking for a good paint-safe washer fluid... any ideas?

djerickd
05-09-2006, 05:51 PM
anyone tried this?: http://store.yahoo.com/classic-motoring/roadfilrem.html

drck1000
05-09-2006, 06:11 PM
I would be very interested in responses to this as I`ve been wondering the same thing. I`ve thought about trying out the 1Z and the P21S washer fluid additives. My car still has the wasther additive that the dealer put in. I believe that they said it was the "blue liquid" from Walmart. I`ve used 20/10 in my previous cars. I`ve used the 20/10 Concentrate when I moved back to a warm climate and used to use their anti-freeze washer fluid when I lived in Washinton.

sumptimwong
05-09-2006, 10:21 PM
Bump for an excellent question. I generally try to avoid using my wipers unless it`s already been raining - I`m afraid to scratch my windshield. Is this fear unfounded?

mblgjr
05-09-2006, 10:50 PM
GM/Goodwrench Opti-Kleen is THE best fluid I have found that doesn`t stain or dry the blades excessively.

Available at Delco jobbers and GM parts departments.

Comes in quarts, mix with distilled water. Goes a loooong way.

Shelbrain
05-11-2006, 10:49 AM
I have had good luck with the 303 Washer tablets. They don`t seem to stain the paint in any way on my black Impala.

EMazda3S
05-11-2006, 02:47 PM
I`d love to find a good one too. i was going to try the 303 tablets.

I`d also love to have the money and the capability to give it to everyone in front of me whose jets are not aimed properly cause` it seems like I get more fluid from other cars on my paint then from my own washer jets!

I also hesitate to use my wipers unless it`s raining.

I don`t think the 303 tablets dissolved in water will work in the Winter because of the freezing. I`d like to find a Winter paint safe fluid as well.

imported_Chris223
05-11-2006, 10:11 PM
I love the fact that my Grand Prix doesn`t have washer nozzels, the fluid is fed right to the wiper arms, so no fluid ever touches my paint when I use it :)

victory
05-12-2006, 12:06 AM
i have a regal which is essentially the same car. none touches the hood, but there is usually some overspray/runoff onto the roof and doors, so it`s still a valid question.

braindead
05-12-2006, 01:23 AM
:xyxthumbs

just about all products on the market are good...

my favourite fluid for winter is the 1Z, cleans the window magnificently but it does leave some foam on the edges

and have to agree about the GM Optikleen, I think its the best fluid for general every day use & doesn`t leave any foam or affect your paint, give it a try...

TigerMike
05-12-2006, 05:09 AM
I found some Rain-X washer fluid at AutoZone a while back and really like it. It cleans reasonably well, but the real benefit is the coating of Rain-X each time. Really makes the water fly off the windshield. Seems pretty mild in terms of cleaners, so I think this is safe for paint.

Accumulator
05-12-2006, 11:09 AM
I generally try to avoid using my wipers unless it`s already been raining - I`m afraid to scratch my windshield. Is this fear unfounded?

No, your fears are *well* founded. I too never use my wipers unless there`s enough water on the glass to provide some lubrication.

I hardly ever use my washers, and Ohio winters are pretty nasty. I clean the windshields (manually) at least once a day in the winter, and on trips I stop to do it when they get bad. I consider the washers to be pretty much of an emergency-only measure. The way some of our cars spray fluid all over the headlights (and thus the whole front of the car) if the lights are on sorta bugs me, I wish it were on a switch so I could have more control over it.

drck1000
05-12-2006, 11:16 AM
Just picked up some 303 Washer Tablets. I was walking down the car care isle at my local grocery/department store and found that they carried the tablets. They carry the 303 Fabric Guard and Protectant, but they have the washer tablets in this obscure area and never saw them until yesterday. Will give them a try.

I too have a car that sprays water on the headlights when the lights are on. So I avoid spraying washer fluid when my lights are on. I thought it would only activate when I hit the headlight washer button (which is on a control panel that is typically stowed away) and the first time I used the wind shield washers with the lights on and was wondering what the hell that was spraying on my car from in front of the hood!

sumptimwong
05-12-2006, 11:24 AM
Accumulator: haha, sound like you have a Volvo? Those cute little headlight wipers get me every time ;D

About these products you guys are recommending, I haven`t heard of any of these fluids before. Are they locally available?

Accumulator
05-12-2006, 11:43 AM
Accumulator: haha, sound like you have a Volvo?

Nah, my (`84) Volvo didn`t have `em, I was thinking of the Audis. But yeah, some of the other cars I`ve had (mostly Benzes) came with the little wipers. A bit too "precious" for my taste ;)