PDA

View Full Version : First Marine job, have questions

asleepz
05-09-2006, 04:41 PM
Hey everyone.

I`m about to attempt my first boat this weekend for my boss.

It`s a Chapperal 25` boat..

I want to know if I can use the Sonus SFX line of polishes along with Z2Pro Wax...

Second, I am a amature. What should I be asking per foot?

If I can`t use what I posted, what could I find locally that will do the job?

Thanks!

Diesel1
05-09-2006, 05:08 PM
I am unfamiliar with Sonus polished but you can use a medium cut compound (fine cut if the boat is in good shape) with a wool pad and go to town (Becareful around any vinyl decals as they are easy to burn, and wires/antennas etc. Boats are easier then cars IMO. You can do 2 steps where as on cars you often do more. AFter a good compounding, you can basically go right to LSP. I would test an area first with the lsp because sometimes fiberglass will soak it up making it impossible to remove. Do not get any wax on non-skid surfaces and be sure to wash after compounding to remove everything. Typically I like to do the first wash with a heavy concentration of degreaser and boat soap (not auto) and the wash after compounding a lesser concentration of degreaser and soap.

As for price, I did boats so long ago I couldn`t tell you what the rate is for top sides. I would guess around $15ft for a pro so I think you may be ableto get away with 8-10 (Keeping in mind it is your boss. You`re better off just asking for raise and not charging him! LOL

asleepz
05-09-2006, 06:24 PM
Yeah I was thinking probably around 125 or so, he hooks me up quite a bit, so I may even just ask 100 bucks. Either way, me being 16 a days worth of work for 100 bucks is far from a bad deal.

Thanks for the info.

asleepz
05-10-2006, 02:30 PM
Anybody else have any input?

Pats300zx
05-10-2006, 04:14 PM
I have an 18ft Chapparral. Be sure to take pics. I would love to see it when its done.

asleepz
05-10-2006, 06:16 PM
Will do! BTW I was mistaken. It`s a Sunesta 232 (23`)

asleepz
05-13-2006, 07:41 PM
Well I forgot the friggen camera this morning but 6 hours worth of work and she`s done!

I used the Sonus SFX-1 and SFX1 pad. With Zaino Z2Pro

Worked like a charm. It was badly "Rusted/oxidized". But I think with another detail down the road it`ll look great. I`m just intrested to see how Zaino works with Sal````er;)