PDA

View Full Version : Help the new guy

victory
05-09-2006, 09:48 AM
Alright, don`t think i`m doing too bad with my car, but for all i know you guys will be horrified.

Basically, i know a little about making the car look nice, but mainly just use products i can find at the local autoparts store. I was hoping for recommendations of products and steps to get a really professional looking finish. Keep in mind that it`s my daily driver and i don`t have a garage, so using a product that is sensative to things like, say, water and sunlight, is simply not acceptable.

First, i wash the car and take out any major scratches with meguires fine cut and clay. Wash the car again, dry thoroughly, then i apply liquid glass as a polish buff it out, give it some time and apply a quality carnuba wax like meguires or the sort to give it a little depth and bring out the metallic paint. I use microfiber for application/removal.

Being spring i`m constantly hitting it with a california duster and meguires QD to get the tree spooge and occasional bird```` off.

Now the car looks good (to me, i`m sure some would laugh at my pitiful work), but i`m sure you guys can give me some suggestions on products and methods to really get the gloss, depth, durability and longevity i`m looking for.

Car is a new-to-me 2002 buick regal GS. Paint is silver two-tone with a gunmetal grey below the door mouldings. Has about 60K on it, paint is in good condition aside from 60K of stone chips on the front, which isn`t terrible either.

s2skimon
05-09-2006, 10:11 AM
if by hand, the only other thing I use from the local shelves would be NXT, add 3 coats and be prepared to be amazed.

victory
05-09-2006, 10:16 AM
I`m not limiting myself to off the shelves.

Isn`t meguires NXT slightly abrasive? Won`t that take off the polish and wax i`ve already put on?

Personally i don`t like using all-in-ones.

the other pc
05-09-2006, 10:40 AM
:welcome to Autopia victory!

Your process is fine for regular maintenance. As long as you`re using high quality towels and applicators along with good technique you should continue to get good results.

I would suggest getting Meguiar`s ScratchX for the minor scratches and scuffs that come with every day life. Meguiar`s Fine Cut is optimized for machine use so it`s very, very mild by hand (also, if it`s the older formula, it`s only for machine use) and won`t be especially effective on moderate defects.

NXT is not abrasive. You can use it as often as you want. Meguiar`s ColorX, A12 Cleaner/Wax, #6 and #66 are all-in-ones.

PC.

victory
05-09-2006, 10:57 AM
Guess i`ve never had any terrible scratches since the fine cut has worked for years. I use microfiber for application/removal.

Alright so after cut and clay:

polish with the LG

wax with carnuba

top coat with NXT

hold on....Correct me if i`m wrong, but shouldn`t the carnuba be used as a topper for the best appearance?

So:

Polish w/ LG

NXT

Carnuba

????

Now, do you guys also have better products in mind as well? I`ve been happy with the LG as a polish, but i`m always looking for a the slickest, best looking longest lasting carnuba wax.

Accumulator
05-09-2006, 02:24 PM
victory- Welcome to Autopia!

Yeah, put the carnauba on last.

You might see if anyplace has Collinite 845 Insulator Wax. I see it OTC at my local autoparts store. Nice stuff.

IMO about 95% of how a car looks is in the prep, even with silver (I have a lot of silver vehicles). I probably spend about as much time inspecting the paint for micromarring as I do polishing it; by the time I apply my LSP (Last Step Product, i.e. "wax") it usually looks about as good as it`s gonna get, the wax doesn`t so much add looks as add protection. Find some lighting that`ll show all the tiny flaws (I use high-wattage incandescents) and correct those- you won`t believe the difference.

victory
05-09-2006, 04:31 PM
Yeah, i understand silver is never going to have that super-wet look, but unlike dark solid colors, it doesn`t look neglected too easy either. The gunmetal two tone gets a that wet look and it makes the car look absolutely stellar.

I usually do my detailing in the ambulance bay at my firehouse while i`m working a 12 hour shift. Just pull one of the ambulances outside and do my car in there under those big mercury vapor engine bay lights. It`s really the perfect garage to do detailing in.

Never heared of the wax you`re suggesting. Good properties? Logvity? I`ll take advice from anyone with "practical perfectionist" as their title

victory
05-09-2006, 05:11 PM
Pics of the car

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y45/clubsoda22/IMG_0257.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y45/clubsoda22/IMG_0259.jpg

Vipersdad
05-09-2006, 05:30 PM
Check your PM`s

victory
05-09-2006, 06:14 PM
thanks viper

I think i`m going to use a lot of advice i got here. I figure i`ll strip off the wax on the car, claybar (it needs it) polish with liquid glass, follow with NXT, and finish with Collinite

That should neet my requisites of: slippery as ****, shinly as ****, Hard as nails and durable as hell :2thumbs:

also, i`m currently using the meguires QD. How would you guys rate it?

Accumulator
05-10-2006, 09:16 AM
victory- Heh heh, I always get a kick out of the way guys in your field often spend the down-time detailing :D The emergency vehicles in my area are always very sharp looking.

Sounds like somebody has already filled you in on the Collinite. Their stuff works great. I kinda prefer their 476S paste due to its durability, but the 845 is easier to use and looks a bit better.

Meguair`s makes a few different QDs...only one I`ve used much is the #34.

You might want to look into ordering FinishKare`s FK425. After somebody here kindly sent me a sample, I was sold. I had thought it was the overhyped-product-of-the-moment, but nope, it really *is* that good. Not the only good one out there, but mighty impressive, especially the slickness.

victory
05-10-2006, 04:02 PM
Gotta keep the trucks clean and waxed, we put them through hell.

I went and ordered a bottle of the collinite 845 and a tin of the fleet wax paste, which i`m told is the same as 476s, just in a bigger container for the same money. Was cheap enough that i`ll figure out which i like best,

So, here`s what i have planned

1)Wash

2)Clay Magic & scratch remover

3)Wash and Dry thoroughly

4)Liquid glass x2

5)NXT x2

6)Collinite x2

Opinions?