PDA

View Full Version : Pads on SS vs B/C Paint

Prometheus
05-09-2006, 08:58 AM
So, I have one set of good Propel pads on hand, and to this point they have only seen the paint on my own clear coated car. My dad has a 67 Tempest that has been repainted at least once, I think twice, with single stage paint. He wants to get it done again, but who knows when that will be, so I would like to clean it up for him.

My dilemma is this, the car is red. I know it will absolutely chew up and stain my pads, which to this point are only stained from my use of SSR 1. If I use my pads on the SS red, is it safe to then use them on the Clear coated car with the red paint stuck in the pad? I would assume so, but hey, I`ve never polished a SS car before.

Planning on using Meg`s #9 (just light marring and scratches, SUPER soft paint, look at it sideways and it mars), might let it soak with some #81 before hand as this paint hasn`t really been touched other than washes for about 20 years. Anyhow, just wondering what you guys think.

Accumulator
05-09-2006, 09:40 AM
I`ve never had a problem from the ss paint that stained the pads. It looks nasty, but that`s all it ever amounted to for me. Just clean it out as best you can.