PDA

View Full Version : noobs first impression of washmitts

webstrive
05-09-2006, 06:08 AM
Hello,

I`m pretty new to detailing, but I recently received two sheepskin mitts from autogeek. I also have a Griot`s sheepskin washmitt. I thought it might be worthwhile to post my initial observations.

First impressions, the autogeek mitts are small compared to Griot`s. That was a bit of a let-down, I`m thinking I should have ordered 4 instead of 2.

Also, Griot`s mitt seems to be `thicker`, it has very long strands. However, this could be misleading as autogeeks seems to have more `curled up` strands.

To the touch, autogeeks mitts are softer, Griot`s feels a bit more `stringy`. I don`t know how else to describe the feel. This is where I was really impressed with the autogeek mitt, even though both can be called soft, the autogeek mitts really have a nice feel.

The autogeek mitts are beige in color, Griot`s is ivory/white. I think Griot`s will be easier to see small dirt build up. The autogeek mitt also has a `thumb`, I`m not sure if thats good or bad, Griots is `flat`

Cost wise, you can order autogeeks in bulk, but one autogeek mitt is still a bit cheaper than Griot`s. If I recall correctly, autogeek shipping was quite a bit cheaper than Griot`s, but perhaps someone can verify that is true in general.

I have yet to use the autogeek mitt, so hopefully I`ll be able to post further comments soon. I want to test which mitt holds and distributes suds well and also rinses easily. One thing is since Griot`s mitt seems to have more thickness large dirt particles could get hidden, but I`ll have to test it out.

Accumulator
05-09-2006, 07:52 AM
I`ll be looking forward to your opinions after you`ve used them both.

I have both the Griot`s and the ones from Autopia, which I suspect are very similar to the AutoGeek mitts.

My Griot`s one seems to retain more dirt due to the nature of its nap. Not as free-rinsing so it doesn`t work as well for what I do with the foamgun.

When comparing/testing softness, remember to have them both wet with wash solution ;) can`t tell much when they`re dry.

webstrive
06-03-2006, 04:09 PM
I finally had a chance to try both the Griots and Autogeek mitts together.

I used both while washing the car with gilmour foam gun and Griots Car Wash.

Here`s how I thought they compared

1) Softness

When dry, the autogeek mitt is quite a bit softer than griots

When wet, both mitts are pretty soft but the Autogeek felt softer. Moving across the paint it was very smooth. the mitt is also smaller and lighter so perhaps it exaggerated the effect a bit.

2) Cleaning ability

The Griots mitt has really long fibers and I felt it picked up dirt better than Autogeeks. Autogeeks its still ok in this area. The Griot`s mitt wasn`t as easy to rinse, but it does seem to pull dirt into the fibers fairly well.

The Autogeek mitt seemed quite a bit easier to rinse dirt out of.

3) Miscellaneous

Griot`s mitt is a bit heavy and its a tiny bit harder to control how much pressure is being put on the paint.

Griot`s mitt is ivory/white, while autogeeks is brownish. Any dirt which is near the top of the fiber could be a tiny bit harder to see with autogeeks

Autogeeks mitt, while smooth will leak through pretty fast and get hands wet, Griots is thicker and perhaps the backing is better, I don`t think my hands even got wet using it.

My personal preference is the autogeek mitt, but mainly because it rinses easily and performs pretty well and you can order them in bulk for cheaper.

Accumulator
06-03-2006, 04:42 PM
Thanks for posting your comparision, it sounds about like my comparison between the Griot`s and Autopia ones. Some time I want to CD-test the Griot`s (wet, of course). I think it`ll pass but I still wanna do it.

I actually *like* the way wash solution flows through the lining on my Autopia mitts. I fill them with wash solution and hold them shut at the cuff as opposed to putting my hand inside. The more solution that flows through, mixing with/adding to the suds from the foamgun, the better IMO. But then I wear dishwashing gloves when I wash.

imported_uflraptor
06-20-2006, 01:56 PM
Does anyone know where else I can order a wash mitt the same as the one sold at Griot’s? I doubt it is made just for them. Most of the products they sell are sold elsewhere and many times at more reasonable prices.

Shawn

webstrive
06-20-2006, 03:28 PM
one thing i took for granted is the griots mitt hasn`t ever fallen apart on me

one of the autogeek started to fall apart very quickly, one small area sort of broke apart, and now its spreading

anyone have problems with these mitts, maybe i just got unlucky

a.k.a. Patrick
06-20-2006, 05:55 PM
Please keep in mind, your using a natural product which varies from each animal. So are "true" comparisons "true"?

Ive worn through mitts in as little as 3 uses. I have mits Ive used over 30 times.

webstrive
06-20-2006, 06:35 PM
ahh ... thanks for posting that ... i was about ready to just stick with griots for the mitts as the particular one i have has been used alot