PDA

View Full Version : A couple questions on using clay

Pages : [1] 2

DaveInLA
05-08-2006, 06:03 PM
I`m a rookie at detailing and tried using clay for the first time this morning, in 60-65 degree weather (cloudy).

The first problem I had is that the clay is firmer than I thought, and I had some trouble getting it perfectly flat. Should I try using a flat surface to mash it against to flatten it? It was also a bit challenging to roll it up after a round of using it on the car`s paint.

The bigger issue I had, though, is that after I was done, I noticed that the clay left a lot of streaks on the black paint. Granted, it`s a bad paintjob with no clearcoat and hadn`t been taken care of in forever, but I was still somewhat disappointed. I used car wash suds for the lubricant, and it seemed fine until I rinsed it all off and everything was dry.

On the other hand, the surface feels A LOT smoother now, even though there are still some visible specks on the hood.

What did I do wrong? Thanks.

Vw Gti
05-08-2006, 06:07 PM
One problem could have been that you did not use enough lubricant on the paint. Another problem is that your clay bar might have been too harsh. What brand was it? Did you wipe away the lubricant after you were done with an area?

As far as the claybar not being soft. That should not happen. It should always be able to flatten out and bend into shape easily.

BobD
05-08-2006, 06:12 PM
You might of used a hard clay. Some of the clay I run across at the local paint supply store can get pretty stiff if you get a firm agressive clay.

What brand did you use?

DaveInLA
05-08-2006, 06:24 PM
I`m embarrassed to say that I don`t know what brand it is because a friend gave it to me a while ago. I think it was Meguiar`s. It`s yellow in color.

As for the lubricant issue, it is okay to use soap, right?

BobD
05-08-2006, 06:27 PM
I`m embarrassed to say that I don`t know what brand it is because a friend gave it to me a while ago. I think it was Meguiar`s. It`s yellow in color.

As for the lubricant issue, it is okay to use soap, right?

I think Meguiar`s is white, and their pro line is red. I could be wrong. You might have Mothers if it was something your friend bought locally.

I used to use some soap mixed with water in a spray bottle as a clay lube. You should be fine. You might not of been using enough lubricant.

DaveInLA
05-08-2006, 06:41 PM
Yeah, my friend bought it at AutoZone or Kragen. I think it might be Mothers. It`s old, though. I don`t know if that makes it firm. It`s about as firm as dry modeling clay. I figured that it would be like play-dough.

Accumulator
05-09-2006, 08:44 AM
Some clays just leave more residue than others. Using shampoo instead of a compatible clay-lube can exacerbate this considerably as some shampoos dissolve some clays (especially the yellow ones from Mother`s and Griot`s, which I suspect are identical).

If the clay`s really stiff, I wrap it in something (plastic wrap, wax paper, or tin foil) and put it in my pocket for a while before I`ll be using it. Bodyheat softens it up.

vaca22
05-09-2006, 08:59 AM
Some clays just leave more residue than others. Using shampoo instead of a compatible clay-lube can exacerbate this considerably as some shampoos dissolve some clays (especially the yellow ones from Mother`s and Griot`s, which I suspect are identical).

If the clay`s really stiff, I wrap it in something (plastic wrap, wax paper, or tin foil) and put it in my pocket for a while before I`ll be using it. Bodyheat softens it up.

Yeah, I`ve definitely noticed that with my Griot`s clay...using soap and water as a lubricant breaks down the clay a lot to the point where it sticks all over my hands. Seems to work fine on the car though, but my hands just get all crudded up.

the other pc
05-09-2006, 10:22 AM
...If the clay`s really stiff, I wrap it in something (plastic wrap, wax paper, or tin foil) and put it in my pocket for a while before I`ll be using it. Bodyheat softens it up.I know a mobile detailer who has a microwave oven in his rig for warming clay bars.

PC.

WSUcommuter
05-09-2006, 10:35 AM
I know a mobile detailer who has a microwave oven in his rig for warming clay bars.

PC.

I zap mine 20-25 seconds in a 1100 watt microwave usually before claying and about half way through.

Accumulator
05-09-2006, 02:15 PM
I`ve heard about that wave-the-clay trick. I always wondered if it would dehydrate the clay so I never tried doing it.

Heh heh, I have an old (early `80s, a freebie from my first house) Radar Range in the shop for stuff like this but I`ve never used it...gotta wait for one of those recycle-days since I can`t just toss it into the trash so I oughta give it a try sometime.

froll
05-10-2006, 02:34 AM
I also have a question. I`m clay barring for the first time this weekend. I bought a 200g bar which is, as you can imagine, a nice thick block. Do I cut off a chink of the bar then flatten it before starting? Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question but I don`t want to make a mistake. Thanks

EMazda3S
05-10-2006, 02:41 AM
I also have a question. I`m clay barring for the first time this weekend. I bought a 200g bar which is, as you can imagine, a nice thick block. Do I cut off a chink of the bar then flatten it before starting? Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question but I don`t want to make a mistake. Thanks

Yup, break or cut off a piece and flatten and use. You`ll have lots left over and you`ll be thankfull the first time it flies out of your hand,hits the ground and needs to go in the garbage. :hifive:

JMV
05-10-2006, 04:23 AM
what should you do with a claybar once you`ve done?? I did mine yesterday, but the clay was still damp from the lubricant, so i let it sit in the container it came in, partially open. Any suggestions??

ToyotaGuy23
05-10-2006, 08:09 AM
I threw out my OLLLLLD Mother`s Clay bar yesterday, and it is YELLOW as a phone book.

My new Meguiar`s bar came wrapped in plastic, so I keep it in a ziploc.

I would try to knead it around some if it`s old, and consider heating it up, depending on how bad it is. I use a TON of QD to keep the bar from dragging, because the

dry clay [especially Mothers brand] can be a PAIN to get off.