PDA

View Full Version : When do you start all over again?

KITT
05-08-2006, 05:09 PM
Do you guys put on a bunch of polish, then one day, redawn your car, clay it and start fresh again? If so, how often do u do this, and why?

Wasatch
05-08-2006, 05:19 PM
I use a light polish 2-3 times a year. Now I`m putting on a sealant, maybe in a month I will top with a carnauba. Maybe in a month later I will try another carnauba. Next, I will polish and try another sealant, wait another month or so try another carnauba....... You never need to use dawn the polish will remove whatever is on there.

Mcthings
05-08-2006, 05:48 PM
So my car has Nufinish (pre-autopia) on it. If I use Klasse All-In-One, will it take the old stuff off? Should I do 2 (or more) coats? I will clay before i use AIO.

Sherman8r44
05-08-2006, 06:23 PM
So my car has Nufinish (pre-autopia) on it. If I use Klasse All-In-One, will it take the old stuff off? Should I do 2 (or more) coats? I will clay before i use AIO.

Yes to the first question, and no to the second (each coat removes the preceding, so it`s pointless).

VroomVroom
05-08-2006, 06:38 PM
On my vehicles I generally do a "full" detail twice a year. Wash, clay, polish, cleanse, seal/topcoat. I`ll do that on a Saturday, and then follow up on Sunday with a second coat of sealant or other topcoat. I usually wash once a week, with QD in between, and I`ll reapply topcoats once a month or so.

imported_MCA
05-08-2006, 07:18 PM
I do the following:

Wash - weekly (Cannot emphasize more the importance of proper washing and drying technique)

Chemical Polish - once every 6 months

Abrasive Polish - once every 2-2.5 years (This is where proper washing and drying technique pays off).

Clay - as needed

QD - only immediately after a wash to clean up water spots and to enhance shine/gloss

MCA

twitch
05-08-2006, 07:34 PM
Don`t concern yourself with Dawn soap. It will not remove anything that the claying and polishing won`t. It`s not necessary.

imported_steveo3002
05-09-2006, 01:56 AM
although aio will kinda clean itself off, it may be worth making 2 applications to ensure even coverage

Accumulator
05-09-2006, 08:28 AM
I`m with MCA :xyxthumbs

But with my vehicles` somewhat pampered lives I don`t even have to do the chemical cleaning that often. I just do a very gentle claying (Sonus green, not aggressive enough to remove all my LSP) and refresh the LSP.

Used to be I`d polish all the time...and my `85 Jag`s paint is now too thin to correct as a result of it. Used to be I`d have to polish out marring after the winter, but then I got the wash technique figured out and I quit marring my paint.

D3mon
05-09-2006, 10:15 AM
I like to do a `paintwork service` in spring and autumn (fall) strip, light polishing, seal and wax. To my mind, its prepared for the winter and then again for the summer. In between, it gets an immediate QD for bird poo etc. Then a careful wash each weekend with a top up of wax if it`s not beading too well after the wash.

Got no swirls so far. If I did, I`d go in with a more aggressive polishing at my next `paintwork service`.