PDA

View Full Version : Zaino Questions

Pages : [1] 2

rednckdetailr
05-08-2006, 12:50 PM
Hi Everyone,

I`ve been reading autopia.org for quite some time,and i have alot of products,as well as a porter cable 7424 & the pad kit that i ordered from autogeek a while ago. I just ordered Zaino & the full line of collinite products to add to my collection. I was wondering how everyone uses their zaino,how much they mix with the zfx fusion additive. I`m a total newb to Zaino,but i`ve read so much good things about it from here i just had to try it.

I ordered the Zaino ultimate protection show car kit that has the zfx flash cure accelerator additive,z-2 pro,z-5 show car polish,z-6 gloss enhancer spray,z-7 show car wash,z-9 leather soft spray cleaner,z-10 leather in a bottle,z-16 perfect tire gloss and the z-18 claybar

I also ordered z-12 clear-view glass polish & z-14 plastic magic cleaner & polish as well as the Z-PC Fusion Dual Action Paint Cleaner Swirl Remover.

I apologize for being long winded,but i was wondering if i selected the appropriate kit to startoff with. It`s already on the way to me :woohoo: and i`m already addicted to detailing.

I`d appreciate some newbie Zaino pointers on application and mixing,etc.

Thanks,

Peter

dogma
05-08-2006, 01:32 PM
Great choice.

You do not need ZFX with ZPC

What color car? what shape is the paint in? Also size of car will determine how much Z5 & Z2 pro to mix up. I have a Mazda6speed and for two coats of either Z5 or Z2 pro , I fill the bottle a little less than 1/2 with 2-3 drops and I am good to go including rims.

In general:

You should clay 1st, use ZPC, then Z5 ( coats up to you ) then Z2pro ( again # of coats up to you)

use Z6 ( I use Z8 ) between coats and after.

I would definately get Z8

imported_memnuts
05-08-2006, 02:08 PM
You got a very good kit.

The most important pointer I could give is emphasize your prep with the Z-PC Fusion.

Polish that baby!!!. ;)

Dogma I must respectfully differ.

You do need ZFX to mix with your Z5 and Z2-PRO for the initial coat even when using Z-PC Fusion as your prep polish. Subsequent layering down the road can be applied without ZFX but I highly suggest using it for almost all applications.

As Dogma stated we need to know the size and color of your vehicle. Many times 1 oz of Z sealants (Z5 or Z2PRO) is waaaay too must for even 3 coats on my C5 and normally enough for 2-3 coats on my Escalade. Let us know what you got and we can suggest how much sealant to mix up.

I also suggest getting Z8 (QD/Spray Sealant) at some point to maximize your appearance and almost inifinitely prolong your protection.

Also the best source of information is Sal Zaino himself. Call him or any of his guys and they will point you in the right direction. :hifive:

Oh yeah, Welcome to Autopia!!! :woot:

rednckdetailr
05-08-2006, 02:32 PM
The vehicle i am going to do first has already been polished with 3m perfect-it rubbing compound and a orange cutting pad from autogeek.net and it currently has nxt on it as the lsp,the vehicle is a 93 Volvo 940 Turbo station wagon. The roof needs to be spot-clayed,but i have already claybarred the whole vehicle and done proper autopian polishing,but the roof has some bird s#$t that got on it,that didn`t washoff the last wash. Basically i think i need to apply zfx fusion with z-2 pro polish mix x2 coats because there is no swirling in the paint whatsoever and it is 95% defect free.

Please advise further,thank you all for the replies,and thank you for the warm welcome to autopia.org :bounce

imported_memnuts
05-08-2006, 03:21 PM
Even though the surface will be defect-free I personally would use Z5/ZFX for at least one coat. Z5 has slight different optical enhancers in its formulation and from my experience, not only hide/fill very minimum surfaces marring but also adds richness to the final appearance after subsequent of coats of Z2PRO.

1/4 oz of Z5 with 2 drops of ZFX should be plenty for 1 very thinly applied coat on a Volvo wagon

1/2 oz of Z2PRO with 3 drops of ZFX will be plenty for 2 coats.

Each layer should be applied very thin. Slightly prime applicator with Z6. This will aid in applying a thin and even coat. After applying the sealant should almost invisible, especially of light colored vehicles.

Allow to completely dry. I usually allow about 30 minutes.

Buffing will be a breeze.

QD with Z6 is optional between coats but is highly suggested.

Sounds like the hard part is done (PREP).

Now the fun begins!!! :clap:

dogma
05-08-2006, 04:53 PM
Great choice.

You do not need ZFX with ZPC

What color car? what shape is the paint in? Also size of car will determine how much Z5 & Z2 pro to mix up. I have a Mazda6speed and for two coats of either Z5 or Z2 pro , I fill the bottle a little less than 1/2 with 2-3 drops and I am good to go including rims.

In general:

You should clay 1st, use ZPC, then Z5 ( coats up to you ) then Z2pro ( again # of coats up to you)

use Z6 ( I use Z8 ) between coats and after.

I would definately get Z8

Guess I didn`t explain it right in my haste. Yes you need ZFX with Z5 & Z2pro, no you do not need ZFX with ZPC fusion. As I tried to state , I fill the bottle almost 1/2 way with either Z5 or Z2 pro then add 2-3 drops of ZFX. This seems to work well for me with minimal waste ,it does 2 coats and rims.

rednckdetailr
05-08-2006, 05:14 PM
Hi again to everyone who replied, i forgot to mention the color, it is a really pretty Gray metallic color,which the paint was super hard and it took my porter cable to it`s limit (i had to use 3m perfect it rubbing compound on a orange pad at speed 6 to remove the paint defects with light pressure.

My other questions i have thought of are, it is outside 24/7 under trees, do i really want to use my precious Zaino :soscared: that cost me a pretty penny, or should i use Collinite cause i also ordered the full line of Collinite waxes.

I ordered #845 Insulator Wax,Liquid Sapphire Auto Wax,Fleettwax Heavy Duty Paste Wax,Paste Sapphire Auto Wax,Fleetwax Heavy Duty Cleaner Wax (Pint) from

http://www.nealsharbor.com because i see some not so frequent customers and i thought it would be a good idea to keep a simple one-step cleaner/wax on hand for these people.

I also have Blitz One Grand Carnauba Wax that i just ordered and recieved to use on properly prepared finishes. I have alot of other non-otc products too that i have searched out,such as the beloved #16 Paste Wax by meguiars, i have 6 cans of it! :woohoo:

Anyway, i want to thank anyone who replied for the warm welcome to autopia,and i think this is a wonderful addiction i am going to dig myself a deeper hole into.

Btw, i`m already crazy enough to wash & wax the lawnmower every 2 weeks!

imported_memnuts
05-09-2006, 02:17 PM
Hi again to everyone who replied, i forgot to mention the color, it is a really pretty Gray metallic color,which the paint was super hard and it took my porter cable to it`s limit (i had to use 3m perfect it rubbing compound on a orange pad at speed 6 to remove the paint defects with light pressure.

My other questions i have thought of are, it is outside 24/7 under trees, do i really want to use my precious Zaino :soscared: that cost me a pretty penny, or should i use Collinite cause i also ordered the full line of Collinite waxes.

Why not. Any vehicle the is exposed to the elements 24/7 will need more frequent TLC.

From reports here at Autopia, Collinite is very durable. From personal experience Zaino is unbeatable for my frequently exposed vehicle (Escalade).

It`s a win win decision

Zaino will look great on grey metallic. Go to DetailKing`s garage. He has a similiar colored BMW with Zaino protection. :drool:

EBPcivicsi
05-09-2006, 02:33 PM
[quote name=`blkZ28Conv`].

1/4 oz of Z5 with 2 drops of ZFX should be plenty for 1 very thinly applied coat on a Volvo wagon

QUOTE]

How do you measure such small amounts? I typically do 1 oz (half of the supplied 2oz containers) with four drops of ZFX. Doing a C4 and C6 this was enough for three coats, windows, wheels, and exhaust and I *still* had to waste some of the Z.

On my wife`s mid-size SUV the same amount was enough for five coats including all of the above, again I had throw some away.

I wish Z2PRO could be used without the ZFX. :(

wannafbody
05-09-2006, 03:55 PM
go to a pet store or pharmacy and get a syringe-practically no wasted product

SpoiledMan
05-09-2006, 04:00 PM
go to a pet store or pharmacy and get a syringe-practically no wasted product

That`s what I do. I learned it from a local distributor.

TortoiseAWD
05-10-2006, 07:31 AM
Look for a 35 mL oral syringe with a small tip. There are smaller syringes (usually 10 mL); I haven`t found them useful. Also, my vet has two types of 35 mL syringes, one with a small tip, the other is fairly large. Get the one with the small tip for better control, less chance of spillage, etc.

Tort

TortoiseAWD
05-10-2006, 07:36 AM
That`s what I do. I learned it from a local distributor.I claim prior art. :D

http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?t=6827&highlight=syringe

SpoiledMan
05-10-2006, 08:59 AM
I claim prior art. :D

http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?t=6827&highlight=syringe

OK! You win! :cooleek:

imported_memnuts
05-10-2006, 10:24 AM
[quote name=`blkZ28Conv`].

QUOTE]

How do you measure such small amounts? I typically do 1 oz (half of the supplied 2oz containers) with four drops of ZFX. Doing a C4 and C6 this was enough for three coats, windows, wheels, and exhaust and I *still* had to waste some of the Z.

On my wife`s mid-size SUV the same amount was enough for five coats including all of the above, again I had throw some away.

I wish Z2PRO could be used without the ZFX. :(

5 or 10cc Syringes (3-4cc for 2 coats on C5 and about 7cc for 2 coats on the SUV)

After the initial application of Z5 or Z2PRO with ZFX or Z1, Z2PRO can be used alone for single coat applications. :bigups

2000 WS6 TA NBM