PDA

View Full Version : Vw paint is really this hard.

Pages : [1] 2 3

Tucci
05-07-2006, 02:30 PM
So as per this site I got my 7424 the other day, along with OP OC OCW and some pads ranging from light cut to polish. Today I went at my 03 20th Ann GTI. First I used the OP with a light cut pad and literally nothing. PC speed 6 worked it in slowly took my time, nadda. Then I stepped up to the OC I figured this was it now or never :grinno: So same thing orange light cut pad worked it in slowly took my time. Literall I think it reduced the swirls mabey %50 after 3 applications. I spend almost an hour on my hood and do notice a difference, its just not perfect nor what I expected. Im very new to this stuff, so is VW paint really this hard. My next step is to order some OHC and heavy cut pads. I am just wondering if this is normal, or mabey im doing something wrong. thks.

gbackus
05-07-2006, 02:43 PM
Are you applying enough pressure with the PC?

Vw Gti
05-07-2006, 03:01 PM
Yes vw paint is this hard. I had to apply 3 coats of PoorBoys SSR3.5 with a orange light cutting pad just to remove some swirls from the leather R-Line good bra.

03k20a2
05-07-2006, 03:01 PM
make sure you use about 20lbs of pressure on there and go about 1/2 in per second. if its still not doing nothing, buy some OHC and cutting pads and that should do the trick

Tucci
05-07-2006, 05:40 PM
I was using some pressure and taking my time. I guess Ill have to wait for the OHC to get here along with some new pads. :thx

ritchic
05-07-2006, 09:48 PM
I have the same problem so I am hoping OP hyper compound and a yellow pad will help out

hugj
05-07-2006, 09:58 PM
Let us know what works-I want to do my brother-in-law`s black magic 20th anniversary

Accumulator
05-08-2006, 07:41 AM
Only way I can do correction on hard paint with a PC is by using 4" pads.

D Tailor
05-08-2006, 09:33 AM
OHC + Yellow Pads + Lots o` Pressure work on my VW/Audi`s. Follow up with OC/OP and White pad to remove hazing. Fnishing Pad + OC to leave a mirror look. It`s my routine when we gat a new baby in the garage.

imported_Surfer
05-08-2006, 10:02 AM
Fnishing Pad + OC to leave a mirror look. It`s my routine when we gat a new baby in the garage.You don`t use OP to finish? I have OP but was thinking of picking up some OC.

D Tailor
05-08-2006, 10:16 AM
You don`t use OP to finish? I have OP but was thinking of picking up some OC.

That was a typo. I meant to write OP. :thx

Tucci
05-08-2006, 12:25 PM
Thks, I will try the OHC with a cut pad tomorrow I will let yall know how it works.

Tucci
05-10-2006, 07:23 AM
Ok, so I wasnt able to get the OHC. I ended up getting a Wolfgang Cutting Pad (It sucked BTW, didnt stick good at all to the backing plate on the PC) with the OC. I was able to remove 95% of the defects with that. I wish I had OHC as it would have sped up the process. The car looks so much better with most of the defects (siwrls water spots) removed. I spent around 6hrs on the car :waxing: for 1/2 the day. :) It was alot of fun, and I really enjoyed the end result. I will have some pics up soon, my camera took a dump. I would recommend OHC with a cutting pad for VW paint to make things easier. Thks for all the help.

D Tailor
05-10-2006, 08:43 AM
Ok, so I wasnt able to get the OHC. I ended up getting a Wolfgang Cutting Pad (It sucked BTW, didnt stick good at all to the backing plate on the PC) with the OC. I was able to remove 95% of the defects with that. I wish I had OHC as it would have sped up the process. The car looks so much better with most of the defects (siwrls water spots) removed. I spent around 6hrs on the car :waxing: for 1/2 the day. :) It was alot of fun, and I really enjoyed the end result. I will have some pics up soon, my camera took a dump. I would recommend OHC with a cutting pad for VW paint to make things easier. Thks for all the help.

Congrats Tucci!! Feels good to win one over on the VW clear eh? :clap:

You might have done well not going with OHC. I have found that OC + Yellow is very effective. And while it is definitely the ultimate response top those pesky imperfections, I almost rather Yellow+OC at times on VW/Audi clear to avoid the hazing from OHC which can be quite noticeable. It is especially so when you begin downstepping to finer polishes.

Vw Gti
05-10-2006, 08:58 AM
What about yellow + SSR 2.5? or yellow + Menzerna Intensive Polish?

I have to redo my paint cause i went over it once and didnt know the clear was that hard.