PDA

View Full Version : Rain-x anti fog

mandon
05-07-2006, 12:50 PM
Umm I guess I applied this stuff too thick. I now have this god awful haze all over my rear windshield. The bottle said to try water and scrubbing, that was a no go. Neither stoners nor windex has any effect on this stuff. Ideas?

Keep in mind this is the interior of the windshield which has the heating elements, so no steel wool or anything crazy..

raddy21
05-07-2006, 01:08 PM
I had the same problems with my anti-fog stuff and it seems to leave a light haze even when applied lightly. Although it works (for awhile) it leaves your window looking dirty. Im also interested in hearing anyone else who has used this product and not have it haze up.

chml17l
05-07-2006, 01:46 PM
The Rain-X Antifog (:nono) is a crappy product IMO. I would try some straight isopropyl alcohol or denatured alcohol (better due to having less water content than IPA) to try to remove it.

If you have any Autoglym Glass Polish, this would be worth a try too.

mblgjr
05-07-2006, 06:46 PM
The anti-fog is terrible. I tried it on two different vehicles and it made the interior surfaces fog WORSE.

Windex with an extra shot of Ammonia works for me. Takes a couple of hefty wipe downs, but it does come off.

Can also try rubbing alcohol (90=%), or denatured alcohol.

Good luck.

mandon
05-12-2006, 07:35 PM
Really weird update on this problem. While I was trying to figure out what the hell to do next it decided to rain last night. This morning I went out and 99% of the haze was gone from the window. It was pretty much crystal clear. I have no idea what happened but for a solid week and a half it was almost unviewable due to so much hazing and after the rain it is just gone. Im puzzled. :nixweiss

chompies
05-13-2006, 05:26 AM
Really weird update on this problem. While I was trying to figure out what the hell to do next it decided to rain last night. This morning I went out and 99% of the haze was gone from the window. It was pretty much crystal clear. I have no idea what happened but for a solid week and a half it was almost unviewable due to so much hazing and after the rain it is just gone. Im puzzled. :nixweiss

Isn`t anti-fog meant to be applied to the inside of the glass? If you applied it outside, it probably got washed off.

mandon
05-13-2006, 06:26 AM
lol - it was on the inside.

victory
05-13-2006, 06:34 AM
rainex anti-fog sucks. the only anti-fog i found that works is this stuff made for motorcycle helmets, but it is too cost prohibitive to use on your windshield evey couple weeks. I use it on my sunglasses and paintball masks.

Anyway, the best way to de-fog your car windshield is with your cars defogger.

EddieWan
05-14-2006, 07:55 AM
Ditto, anti fog rain-x is not good.

mandon
05-15-2006, 06:50 PM
update - It rained today and it all of a sudden showed back up with a vengeance. In fact it fogged up worse than it ever would normally and you could see the rain-x where it was applied was the worst part. I tried poorboys polish on it tonight, but it appeared to have minimal effect. Ill give this stuff one thing - it sure as hell is tough :(

AlpinE90
05-16-2006, 11:11 AM
I`ve tried rainx antifog and thought it worked decent. It took longer for my windows to fog up but they did fog up eventually. Stuff only lasted one month max though. I`ll probably use it again next winter season just to finish it up.

imported_bigfoot
05-16-2006, 11:45 AM
That stuff is really bad, I had 2 bottles, and both finished in the trash can!! :angry

RCBuddha
05-16-2006, 11:49 AM
Count me in with those that did not like it. I`ve got mine earmarked to be disposed @ the next LA Hazardous Waste disposal event....