PDA

View Full Version : Removing polish?

TFin04
05-06-2006, 06:56 PM
I was doing some winter cleaning on my white Explorer today, and all I had laying around was some turtle wax polishing compound (I know...).

Anyway, I dont think I removed it completely, and when I went to wax afterwards it came out pretty hazy and not smooth at all.

Should I just rewash and skip the polish this time? I am using a cleaner wax, so that should take care of the minor oxidation my paint has from Michigan winters.

Will regular car wash remove the (now dried) polish, or should I use dish soap? I`ll be rewaxing anyway.

Thanks.

a.k.a. Patrick
05-06-2006, 09:12 PM
I think your going to need a little attention to detail on the trim.....Do you have any trim care products?

DM101
05-07-2006, 11:33 AM
I would just wash with Dawn and start over. Maybe some FPII, then AIO .... I would throw the turtle wax away IMHO.

TFin04
05-07-2006, 01:05 PM
I would just wash with Dawn and start over. Maybe some FPII, then AIO .... I would throw the turtle wax away IMHO.

Yeah I know, I just needed something to remove the oxidation, which it did. My paint looks very clean, it just isn`t very shiney. I watered down the polish quite a bit as I know it isn`t the nicest to your clearcoat.

I dont have the tools/products that most of you have available, I just like a good looking car with what I have (I use mothers and Meg`s products mostly).

Thanks for the help guys.

As far as the trim goes- Yes, I use a product from Mothers for the trim. It`s a tan trim on my car and this stuff has always worked well for me.

Sherman8r44
05-07-2006, 01:14 PM
It might be too mild, but something like Mothers Stage 1 Pre-Wax Cleaner or ColorX may help get rid of the haze.