PDA

View Full Version : Detailing product toxicity testing

Pages : [1] 2

White95Max
05-05-2006, 08:38 AM
I`ve gotten the OK from my boss here at the University of Wisconsin Aquatic Toxicology Lab to run toxicity tests on minnows and Daphnia, testing the toxicity of various detailing chemicals. I`ve wondered for a while how harmful the various APCs and car soaps might be when they enter the river or lake where the storm sewers lead the runoff. I plan to test:

Meg`s Detailer APC

PB`s APC

Optimum car soap

Optimum No-Rinse

QEW

TOL Bubble Bath

PB`s SSS

P21s Wheel Cleaner

Mothers Tire/Rubber Cleaner

303 Aerospace Cleaner

imported_MCA
05-05-2006, 08:44 AM
Anyway you might be able to test Meg`s Wheel Brightener and Simple Green (test for "Biodegradeability"). I`m very interested in your test - keep us updated.

White95Max
05-05-2006, 09:37 AM
The list that I made is of products that I have in my possession. I forgot to include Meg`s Deep Crystal soap. I`ll be testing that one as well. If anyone wants to send me a small sample of anything, I`d be glad to test it. 1-2 oz would be plenty I think.

I`m focusing on products that are often rinsed directly into the storm sewer. Things like waxes or glass cleaners are very rarely going to be washed away, unless a cleaner is sprayed carelessly and the chemical gets on the ground.

imported_bdornseif
05-05-2006, 10:17 AM
How will the tests be conducted... LD50s at various concentrations for the two species?

Bruce

White95Max
05-05-2006, 10:18 AM
I`m not sure yet exactly. My boss has run these tests lots of times and he`s going to demonstrate how to do it. I have the book of SOPs here too that I`ll look over before beginning.

Setec Astronomy
05-05-2006, 10:27 AM
Cool idea!

Casebrius
05-05-2006, 02:53 PM
subscribe. My bet is you won`t gain any points from any prodcut companies.

White95Max
05-05-2006, 04:43 PM
I`m not looking to gain any points from any product companies. I`m curious as to how harmful the chemicals may be, and if the companies don`t like my results, so be it. I will post my findings here because there may be other members that are interested in this topic as well, but do not have the resources to perform such testing.

imported_SHICKS
05-05-2006, 04:52 PM
I`ve gotten the OK from my boss here at the University of Wisconsin Aquatic Toxicology Lab to run toxicity tests on minnows and Daphnia, testing the toxicity of various detailing chemicals. I`ve wondered for a while how harmful the various APCs and car soaps might be when they enter the river or lake where the storm sewers lead the runoff. I plan to test:

Meg`s Detailer APC

PB`s APC

Optimum car soap

Optimum No-Rinse

QEW

TOL Bubble Bath

PB`s SSS

P21s Wheel Cleaner

Mothers Tire/Rubber Cleaner

303 Aerospace Cleaner

How about NXT or GC wash and some OTC wheel cleaners like EO or Meg`s. I am more interested in the test methods. How would you simulate toxicity level once it reaches wildlife from a storm drain. How about the guys who empty their egine oil in a storm drain. Man that makes me mad.

Steve

94BlkStang
05-05-2006, 05:12 PM
How about NXT or GC wash and some OTC wheel cleaners like EO or Meg`s. I am more interested in the test methods. How would you simulate toxicity level once it reaches wildlife from a storm drain. How about the guys who empty their egine oil in a storm drain. Man that makes me mad.

Steve

Is your test going to take into account recommended dilution ratios and the amount of product that might actually enter the waste stream? A product at full strenght will obviously be more harmful than a product that`s diluted down and even less toxic when it`s enterned the waste stream. It will be interesting to see the results though. Good luck.

jvriii1942
05-05-2006, 07:26 PM
Great post can`t wait for the results.

I hope they all come out with positive results (for us that is) so the EPA can lay off a bit (or alot [or all together]). Sorry I must have dosed off I`m awake now never mind. :laugh:

salty
05-05-2006, 09:13 PM
Great idea, i sent you a pm.

imported_animes2k
05-05-2006, 09:37 PM
Very cool idea. I`ve always been concerned about runoff, but mostly my runoff is soapy water. If I could, I`d wash the cars on the lawn or a position where the runoff catches in the grass.

Regarding used motor oil - a very small amount can wreak havoc on streams and ecosystems for a very long time.

AMDin93103
05-05-2006, 10:41 PM
Looking forward to the results. Thanks for making the effort!

imported_flatstick
05-06-2006, 07:21 AM
Sounds like a great idea. I appreciate the time and effort you are going to put into this test.will be interesting to see the final results. :werd: