PDA

View Full Version : QD Removing Wax or Sealant?

mcmmotorsports
05-05-2006, 04:45 AM
Are there any QD`s out there that remove wax or sealant from a cars finish? I am using both Meguiars NXT Speed Detailer and Quik Detail but want to make sure that each time I am using it, I am not removing the protection from my LSP. If so, can you recommend another product that does NOT remove it.

Wasatch
05-05-2006, 05:56 AM
As far as I know there are none.

mcmmotorsports
05-05-2006, 05:58 AM
I didn`t think so. I figured all of these products should NOT remove wax, but wanted to make sure. My car accumulates dust in my garage and rather than pull it out and wash it, I figured a complete QD would be fine. I just don`t want to strip the wax I spent so much time applying. :waxing:

TigerMike
05-05-2006, 06:25 AM
You would have to check the MSDS to be sure, but I believe some QDs contain stronger chemicals i.e. alcohol, which could partially remove a wax/sealant coating. The two you listed I am unsure of...

mcmmotorsports
05-05-2006, 08:01 AM
You would have to check the MSDS to be sure, but I believe some QDs contain stronger chemicals i.e. alcohol, which could partially remove a wax/sealant coating. The two you listed I am unsure of...

What do you recommend?

Wasatch
05-05-2006, 09:54 AM
I recommend FK1 425, #34, FK1 146.

Accumulator
05-05-2006, 10:24 AM
I found that #34 can finish off an almost-dead LSP. No problems on one that`s remotely healthy, but when my wax was right at the point of failure the #34 killed it. Not so with QDs that contain apparently more LSP-like ingredients.

White95Max
05-05-2006, 10:32 AM
I think most QDs probably contain some sort of solvent(s) that would harm the LSP. But many of them contain protectants as well, so the overall effect may be neutral or positive.

EMazda3S
05-05-2006, 11:25 AM

I remember a few years ago reading on Autopia that 3M`s QD contained quite a bit of alcohol.

I`m not sure if this has changed.

We should try to come up with a list of products that can ultimately harm an LSP.

Maybe it`s easier said than done without having every MSDS....

Eric

imported_MCA
05-05-2006, 11:53 AM
I think most QDs probably contain some sort of solvent(s) that would harm the LSP. But many of them contain protectants as well, so the overall effect may be neutral or positive.

I believe Paul nailed it right on the head. I think the inherent chemical composition of QD’s plus the cleaning action of “wiping with an MF†will remove some LSP’s. However, most QD’s also contain polymers/carnauba/etc. to combat this degradation. This leads to a somewhat different question: Will extensive use of QD’s greatly alter the look of your car considering that QD’s remove a small bit of LSP, but apply a protection that differs from the original LSP (EX: Using #425 over Souveran). Going by this example, sooner or later the look provided by Souveran will be overtaken by what #425 provides. I’m sorry to thread-hijack, but I always wondered thisâ€

MCA

EMazda3S
05-05-2006, 12:12 PM
I believe Paul nailed it right on the head. I think the inherent chemical composition of QD’s plus the cleaning action of “wiping with an MF†will remove some LSP’s. However, most QD’s also contain polymers/carnauba/etc. to combat this degradation. This leads to a somewhat different question: Will extensive use of QD’s greatly alter the look of your car considering that QD’s remove a small bit of LSP, but apply a protection that differs from the original LSP (EX: Using #425 over Souveran). Going by this example, sooner or later the look provided by Souveran will be overtaken by what #425 provides. I’m sorry to thread-hijack, but I always wondered thisâ€

MCA

I don`t think this is thread hijacking but relevant to what may happen if a QD does in fact remove some LSP.

On that note, I`d have to say that I do see a difference over the course of a couiple of weeks with extensive use of QD`s after using my LSP. I just figure it was the inherent degredation of the LSP but on further thought, your point makes equal sense.

In my case, I am using EX-P this Spring and I have two layers on the car now. I figure that with two layers, the look shouldn`t change that much after a couple of weeks but over the last week, it seems to take on a different look that seems to change for the better or the worse depending on which QD I use. I didn`t notice these changes over the first week after applying the second coat of the EX-P but I am noticing it now. I can seemingly bring back the original look with a specific QD but I can also alter it with a different one.

This adds to your theory/possibility of completely overtaking the look of an LSP by continually using a specific QD.

Maybe it`s just the optical properties of a QD doing the changing but maybe the possibility of chemically altering the optical properties of an LSP are there also??? And maybe this ties in to the original question and a specific QD is removing and replacing the LSP???

Eric