PDA

View Full Version : What the deal with NU Finish?

Mcthings
05-04-2006, 07:22 PM
My dad swears up and down about how great this stuff is (NU Finish) . (the wax/polish whatever), but after doing some searches here, I get some serious bad vibes about the stuff. I`ve tried it, and it looks decent, I guess. Nothing amazing, that`s for SURE.

What`s the deal?

Scottwax
05-04-2006, 08:06 PM
Average over the counter product.

Why not detail your Dad`s car with some high quality products and show him how much better it can look with individual polishing and sealing steps?

a.k.a. Patrick
05-04-2006, 08:15 PM
I actually bought my truck, from a friend who used that stuff religiously. I have to admit, it was very, very slick when I took it over. As Scott said, it is a decent OTC product, if you can stand the hi distillate content. Im sure its improved (At least here in Ca) due to strict Air Quality guidelines.

AlexRuiz
05-04-2006, 08:18 PM
Mediocre product overall. I used it as my main product before joining autopia, and I liked the fact that it is durable (no, it won`t get even close to one year, but 3-4 months were no problem for me..) and has some serious cleaning power. As downside, look is barely better than just washed, very harsh in hands, stains trim awfully and the odor is nasty.

Despite all that, I keep using it....for the wheels :D

Serious cleaning power plus decent durability make it a great product for wheels. Top it with Collinite 845 that is even more durable and looks waaay nicer, and your wheels will be happy.

As Scott said, get some better products. At the local autoparts store, almost everything will look better than NuFinish. However, most of them will not last as long.

DJ Trackie
05-06-2006, 04:06 AM
Mediocre product overall. I used it as my main product before joining autopia, and I liked the fact that it is durable (no, it won`t get even close to one year, but 3-4 months were no problem for me..) and has some serious cleaning power. As downside, look is barely better than just washed, very harsh in hands, stains trim awfully and the odor is nasty.

Serious cleaning power plus decent durability make it a great product for wheels. Top it with Collinite 845 that is even more durable and looks waaay nicer, and your wheels will be happy.

As Scott said, get some better products. At the local autoparts store, almost everything will look better than NuFinish. However, most of them will not last as long.

wow, that`s exactly my evaluation of Nufinish!

I used to use it before Autopia too... in fact, a google of "nufinish" is how i found Autopia. Needless to say, i stopped using it QUICK!

However, the stuff does last pretty darn long (in terms of beading). I use on wheels and it does a good job keeping the nasty stuff from getting stuck on it.

BoxsterCharlie
05-06-2006, 08:44 AM

That`s good idea...using a cleaner-wax for wheels! :xyxthumbs

Tasty
05-06-2006, 09:54 AM
I just bought a car that was cared for with this stuff, and I have to agree with a.k.a. Patrick that the paint was in way better shape than I initially thought it would be. My claying removed a decent amount of crud, but not near what it should have for a three year old car that I`m sure has never seen a clay bar before. Finish was decently slick, but shine not that great.

Mcthings
05-06-2006, 01:15 PM
Why not detail your Dad`s car with some high quality products and show him how much better it can look with individual polishing and sealing steps?

I would if he would let me get near the thing. He got an Infiniti M45 a few months ago, and I have to plead with him just to sit in it!

tom p.
05-06-2006, 01:29 PM
I can describe "NuFinish" in a single word: brutal

If you`re looking for a cheapie 1 step product that can be purchased OTC*, fly with Long Haul polish/wax. It`s very decent and will dramatically outlast "NuFinish".

"NuFinish", IMO, is a smoke `n` mirrors special.

*Pepboi, AutoZone