PDA

View Full Version : Carnauba isn`t cutting it.. Klasse time?

Pages : [1] 2

imported_truzoom
05-04-2006, 08:56 AM
I have noticed that lately my finish has been losing protection/slickness/beading within a relatively short time after detailing. My apartment complex has a few pines/evergreens here and there, but I avoid parking near them so sap isn`t really the culprit AFAIK. I DO park near a dry cleaners at work and I notice the place has steam stacks that are usually releasing some sort of exhaust, but I do not know if it is some chemical vapor or just water.

Either way, #16 didn`t even last 2 weeks on my outside-kept vehicle, especially on horizontal surfaces. I will notice after washing that my roof especially looks like it is void of anything. Water spots on it and when drying you can notice that water seems to `stick` to certain spots here and there. The same goes for QDing because my MF just won`t glide over it as smooth as it does on vertical panels.

I`d try some IW845, but if I`m going to be making an online order, I might as well step up to some sort of polymer that seems `proven`. My paint is red so I`m not too concerned with the whole `plastic wrap` look of SG (protection matters more), but I`m worried about the application, as I`ve heard MANY stories of how painful it is to apply SG correctly.

Which brings me to a point- If you are trying to apply SG so thin that it doesn`t look like it`s going on, how do you know it is going on?

I`ve chosen to not consider Zaino, so that`s just a personal decision.

Any help?

Wasatch
05-04-2006, 09:15 AM
Try the Werkstatt twins instead, easier on/off.

imported_truzoom
05-04-2006, 09:24 AM
Try the Werkstatt twins instead, easier on/off.

Is it proven to be pretty durable?

Wasatch
05-04-2006, 09:55 AM
I believe so, but ask Scottwax or maybe someone else will chime in. I just put it on last weekend.

VWdriver
05-04-2006, 10:31 AM
That exhaust coming from the dry cleaners is much more than just water vapor. I don`t know if the exhaust will lose its energy(heat) quick enough to get any fall out on your car, but I would try to park far away.

Accumulator
05-04-2006, 02:13 PM
I.. I`ve heard MANY stories of how painful it is to apply SG correctly.

Which brings me to a point- If you are trying to apply SG so thin that it doesn`t look like it`s going on, how do you know it is going on??

I never find SG tough to use, but plenty of others sure do :nixweiss

The surfaces that have SG on them feel a little different from the not-yet-treated surfaces, so you can go by tactile cues.

I put a few products on that thin, you just have to work systematically/methodically and pay attention to what you`re doing. It`s a lot simpler than it might seem ;) There`s really nothing to it other than keeping your attention focused.

RCBuddha
05-04-2006, 02:19 PM
Easiest way to that I found to use SG is to put a dime sized drop on a clean applicator, scrunch (or fold) the applicator so that the product absorbs into the pad, then lightly wipe it onto the paint. In following the WOWO, I then wipe off.

Accumulator,

I`ve been playing around with SG diluted 1:1 with water in a mister bottle. Seems pretty easy to apply and remove; have you tried SG this way? Your in essence making a spray wax, right? Any thoughts?

Accumulator
05-04-2006, 02:42 PM
RCBuddha- Nah, I just put a little (very little ;) ) SG on a foam applicator, wipe it on, let it set up for a while, often overnight. Buffs right off. In keeping with my not-broke-don`t-fix philosophy, I just keep doing it the way that`s always worked for me. I *do* use W-O-W-O on black plastic trim though, seems less prone to streaking.

I`m not gonna try diluting it as I honestly believe that if it were better with water added in they`d make it that way (and presumably reap a greater profit by selling "watered down" product). I`m not gonna do anything that might compromise the durability (not saying that any of the ideas that get floated *would* do that, but I won`t wanna mess with success).

Note that the only vehicle I use it on these days is my minivan anyhow, other than that I just use it for wheels and trim.

foxtrapper
05-05-2006, 06:58 AM
Which brings me to a point- If you are trying to apply SG so thin that it doesn`t look like it`s going on, how do you know it is going on?

You don`t. You apply it to the pad and wonder if it`s going onto the car or not. And if you`re using a damp pad, you get to really wonder if you`re seeing the KSG evaporating, or just water evaporating from the paint.

Applying a dime size dollop to the pad and getting it evenly applied over the paint is an exercise in frustration. Try washing a dirty car with a cotton ball some time just to prove the point. A method some use (no experience myself) is to spritz the KSG onto the pad, better coating the surface and hopefully better coating the car. Makes sense to me, but like I said, I`ve no experience. If you`re working with a dry pad, it`s quite likely to cure onto the pad that way.

As much as I like KSG, and I do, I`ve found NXT to be a very good alternative to it. It`s easier and quicker to apply, looks a little better, and lasts about as long. NXT is also cheaper and available everywhere.

Accumulator
05-05-2006, 09:24 AM
You don`t [know you`ve applied SG]. You apply it to the pad and wonder if it`s going onto the car or not...

Not to sound all :argue but, having applied SG innumerable times over many years,

I completely disagree with the above.

I use far less SG on the pad that what RCBuddha described and I certainly wouldn`t characterize my applications of SG as "an exercise in futility" when I a) get all the benefits of SG, b) do so with a method that I find very easy, and c) can make my bottle of product last for many, many years.

Any excess product is merely buffed off anyhow, there`s no benefit beyond applying the miniscule amount that it takes to cover the surface. I`ve tried heavier applications and found no benefits but numerous problems. This ultra-thin method of application works, period. If it didn`t, I`d change how I apply SG until I found a method that *did* work and I`d advocate *that* method instead.

foxtrapper
05-09-2006, 02:34 AM
Not to sound all :argue but, having applied SG innumerable times over many years,

I completely disagree with the above.

I use far less SG on the pad that what RCBuddha described and I certainly wouldn`t characterize my applications of SG as "an exercise in futility" when I a) get all the benefits of SG, b) do so with a method that I find very easy, and c) can make my bottle of product last for many, many years.

Any excess product is merely buffed off anyhow, there`s no benefit beyond applying the miniscule amount that it takes to cover the surface. I`ve tried heavier applications and found no benefits but numerous problems. This ultra-thin method of application works, period. If it didn`t, I`d change how I apply SG until I found a method that *did* work and I`d advocate *that* method instead.

"Exercise in futility" aren`t words I wrote. You`re railing against the wrong person.

imported_flatstick
05-09-2006, 04:50 AM
Is it proven to be pretty durable?

I have tested it on my Jimmy this winter and the results were great. had prime and 2 coats of AJ on for a few months before I went over the whole truck with the combo. check out some of durability findings that Scottwax posted recently. have I tested it to the end of it`s cycle ? no but as an Autopian we do not let it go that far. besides with Trigger you can apply a layer in the time it would take to do a QD on your car. as always it is a matter of choice, what works for one person may not for another. the bad thing about the JW twins is that you may find yourself with lots of time to :tumblewee ha ha ha ha ha ha ha .

Accumulator
05-09-2006, 08:09 AM
"Exercise in futility" aren`t words I wrote. You`re railing against the wrong person.

OOPS :o Yeah, you wrote "exercise in frustration" which is matter of personal experience/perception and one where our experiences differ. My bad, and I apologize.

Thanks for your restrained correction of my mistake; would`ve served me right if you`d *really* flamed me.

I still disagree about whether one can tell if so-thin-you-can`t-see-it applications are being applied. I wasn`t ranting against the wrong person, I merely misread part of what you posted and ran with it. And run with it I did...that was a rather overdone reply I posted there.

foxtrapper
05-10-2006, 07:13 AM
OOPS :o Yeah, you wrote "exercise in frustration" which is matter of personal experience/perception and one where our experiences differ. My bad, and I apologize.

Thanks for your restrained correction of my mistake; would`ve served me right if you`d *really* flamed me.

I still disagree about whether one can tell if so-thin-you-can`t-see-it applications are being applied. I wasn`t ranting against the wrong person, I merely misread part of what you posted and ran with it. And run with it I did...that was a rather overdone reply I posted there.

Well maybe you`ve caught onto something others like me haven`t when applying SG. And if so, I`d like to learn it.

When you apply SG or even AIO with a damp sponge or applicator you leave a film of water as you wipe the painted surface. Water flash evaporates. And in doing some rather boring studies of SG, thin films of SG flash evaporate at about the same rate. So when I`m using a damp sponge, I really can`t tell if I`m seeing water evaporate, or the SG. It leaves me at a loss as to when I truly need to put a dab onto the sponge again.

When using a dry sponge you know what you`re seeing is SG (or AIO), but a dime sized dollop on a sponge gives you a quarter sized dollop at best to smear around on the car. And I find trying to uniformly smear a quarter all over my painted surfaces to be very frustrating. It`s not impossible, but it sure is hard to do.

The dize size dollop from the bottle being expanded to a quarter sized dollop applies just about the same with a damp spong as with a dry sponge (or buffing wheel, or mf, etc). That`s where the idea of using a spritzer bottle to spray it over the entire sponge has some apparent advantages. I know I find applying NXT far easier for example, and a good portion of that is because of the spray bottle it`s in.

Another entertaining semi-problem with SG is the way it dries on the sponge. It very quickly starts to dry/cure on the edges where it`s not constantly saturated with fresh liquid. It`s an air cure/dry, and anywhere it makes contact with air, it sets up.

Your comments & observations are solicited.

TGates
05-10-2006, 07:48 AM
I`m by no means an expert, but I personally only use a damp applicator when applying a paste carnauba as I find it helps to break it up and moisten it/soften it just enough to aid in ease of application for such waxes as 1000P, #16, and Natty`s Blue.

With sealants like SG, Z2Pro, EX-P, etc. they are so "watery" in nature that I tend to stay away from any sort of dampening because I feel that if spraying the pad with a detail spray, say Sonus AS when using SG, how do you know you`re not just working the SG into the PAD more than onto the PAINT, and you`re not just smearing around a miniscule amount of SG and moreso a noticeable amount of said detail spray? Much along the same lines as what foxtrapper is saying with water.

Maybe it`s just me being paranoid, too :D