PDA

View Full Version : FMJ or Souveran on Lexus Metallic Red

Pages : [1] 2

Rolex24
05-04-2006, 05:43 AM
I`ve got both products in house, haven`t used any Menzerna yet but will be going after my Vette`s clearcoat with their swirl removers.....but I digress. The wife just got a new IS350 with Matador Red Mica paint, beautiful in the sun and really high quality. I want to know what would give it the best look:

1.FMJ alone or possibly layered on itself?

2.Souveran alone or layered on itself?

3.FMJ with Souveran layered on top?

Thanks in advance for any help. I will only be using one or both of the products above so please don`t suggets any others.

imported_eLrEyNaDa
05-04-2006, 05:45 AM
FMJ with souveran :up

sQuashed
05-04-2006, 05:49 AM
FMJ with souveran :up

:2thumbs: And :welcome !!!

Wasatch
05-04-2006, 05:57 AM
I also say FMJ with Souveran.

Rolex24
05-04-2006, 06:54 AM
WOW!

Really fast responses and a concensus opinion to boot. I may just have to go home from work sick and start washing!!!! Thanks and I`d just like to say what a great site.

I got my `02 Vette this past Feb. and after the initial glow wore off I realized I had some problems. Flourescent lights and direct sunlight revealed a miriad of swirl marks that may or may not be able to be remedied with my PC/IP/FP combo. (I`m a newbie at this detailing stuff so I`ll have to learn by trial and error). But more importantly the paint contains some other blemishes that I was finally able to diagnose as acid rain etching. Good news is thanks to this site I know what the problem is.....bad news is it looks like anything short of wetsanding or repaint won`t touch the etching :bawling:

Oh well, I`ll just have to resort to getting that badass Z06 on the track and burning the paint off it via triple digit speeds :laugh:

imported_cj99si
05-04-2006, 07:24 AM
Layer both products for the best results. Just give some time in between.

hook
05-04-2006, 07:55 AM
FMJ + Souveran.

Also, no one mentino it (and you may already know), but it would be a good idea to clay the car as well before doing the sealant, and also polich to remove any dealer-induced marring...

Great looking car, btw. Enjoy it!

Blue Skies,

Andrew

Rolex24
05-04-2006, 09:29 AM
Layer both products for the best results. Just give some time in between.

How much time should I wait between each coat? Different times for the FMJ and Souveran? I noticed on the Vette that the shine/wetness looked much better the day after I applied it.

Also, no one mentino it (and you may already know), but it would be a good idea to clay the car as well before doing the sealant, and also polich to remove any dealer-induced marring...

Yep, the plan is:

Wash

Clay

Wash

FP

FMJ

Souveran

Beer

Here`s the Car. It`s Hot!

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j37/Rolex24/Lexus/cars015.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j37/Rolex24/Lexus/cars019.jpg

Glossmaster
05-04-2006, 09:46 AM
You`re right! The car is HOT! Quite shweet, infact. Provided that you have the time, I suggest 2 thinly applied layers of FMJ followed by 2 layers of Souveran.

Rolex24
05-04-2006, 09:52 AM
You`re right! The car is HOT! Quite shweet, infact. Provided that you have the time, I suggest 2 thinly applied layers of FMJ followed by 2 layers of Souveran.

I`ll probably wash and clay on a Friday night and then do the second wash and the rest of the process on Saturday. I think I`d have enough time to do the polishing and multiple layers of both FMJ and Souveran but I still don`t know ? How much time do I have to leave before applying the layers over each other?

Wasatch
05-04-2006, 09:58 AM
Have not used FMJ, but most sealants 12-24 hours for full curing.

Glossmaster
05-04-2006, 09:59 AM
My rule of thumb with most sealants is to apply 2 "thin" layers back to back, waiting roughly 30 minutes between layers. My 2 layer approach is just to ensure complete coverage. No harm done! However, I do suggest waiting 24 hours before apply a carnauba (Souveran) over FMJ or your sealant of choice. The same rule applies to the application of Souveran. 2 "thin" layers of Souveran back to back will be just fine.

Glossmaster
05-04-2006, 10:12 AM
Rolex24:

I do question one particular step in your process, though. Just between us Autopians......You should never under estimate the motivational & inspirational qualites of Beer! I would like to see you work the "beer step" in more frequently in your process. Something like this: Beer......wash, clay, wash......Beer......FP, QD, FMJ.......Beer.........FMJ,FMJ, QD.......Steak & Beer! Day 2: Beer, Souveran, Souveran, QD, then your final Beer as your sitting-relaxing, gawking at your beautiful Lexus!

Come to think of it........If your driving a Lexus, you might want to substitute Beer for a nice bottle of Wine. Perhaps a nice Merlot! (lol)

Glossmaster
05-04-2006, 10:14 AM
The above mentioned is what I call "The 6-Pack Shine". (lol)

Rolex24
05-04-2006, 11:28 AM
Rolex24:

I do question one particular step in your process, though. Just between us Autopians......You should never under estimate the motivational & inspirational qualites of Beer! I would like to see you work the "beer step" in more frequently in your process. Something like this: Beer......wash, clay, wash......Beer......FP, QD, FMJ.......Beer.........FMJ,FMJ, QD.......Steak & Beer! Day 2: Beer, Souveran, Souveran, QD, then your final Beer as your sitting-relaxing, gawking at your beautiful Lexus!

Come to think of it........If your driving a Lexus, you might want to substitute Beer for a nice bottle of Wine. Perhaps a nice Merlot! (lol)

:) How do you know me that well? My wife and I do love our wine but I`ll never lose my affinity for Beer! The problem with interjecting the brew into the procedure is I`ll be more inclined to quit early and drink more beer! The Steak layered with Beer though is a combo that can provide the proper motivation. I do find that you can layer wine over beer but not the other way around......so I guess beer is to sealant as wine is to carnuba :hifive: