PDA

View Full Version : noob for detaling

harmless52
05-03-2006, 04:31 PM
hello,

I got 3m IHG, NTX tech wax, clay bar.

I searched many thread about detailing, but still confusing. how can I use those stuffs for the best result?( I have Diamond graphiti G35 about 9month old, Never clayed never polished.I just waxed 10 times( once a month.) )

can anyone tell me about direction for use those stuffs?

and my question is

1. wax first? or IHG first?(does IHG works very well with ntx wax?)

2. and Do I need to polish after clayed?( what kind of polish should i buy? which one works very well with NXT tech wax?)

Thanx~~~~~~~~~~ :scared:

toml
05-03-2006, 06:57 PM
If you`re confused, the best advice I can give you is to read the Autopia Guide to Detailing written by David B., the "mayor" of this site. You can download it for free here (http://www.guidetodetailing.com/articlenoheader.php?articleId=58). It should clear up a lot of your confusion. You can also click on the "learn!" icon at the top of the web page and read some excellent articles on detailing. But in all seriousness, if you haven`t already, go through the Guide to Detailing. It`ll answer your questions about the basic process. Then question away about specific products, processes, etc.

To answer your questions, I haven`t used the Imperial Hand Glaze (IHG), so I did a quick search and pulled up this information (http://www.autogeek.net/3mimhanglaz.html). It appears to be a filler with no real polishing abilities and should be used before you apply your wax. So, with the products you have, the order would be wash, clay, wash, dry, IHG, NXT. If you want to throw in a polish, it would go before the IHG. Any polish recommendation would depend on (a) if you`re using a PC or polishing by hand and (b) if you`re looking for something locally or something you can order over the web.

Oh, and DEFINITELY check out the reviews (http://www.autopia.org/reviews/censura.php?cmd=details&itemid=52) about IHG. You`ll learn some application tips if you decide to use it.

harmless52
05-03-2006, 07:31 PM
Thanx~~

answer was great~ :)

I will try to find out again,

and I will use my hand, don`t have PC.

:)

Thanx again

toml
05-03-2006, 08:18 PM
IF you want to polish by hand, I`ve read over and over again that the 1Z polishes are very easy to use by hand and give good results. You may want to buy their Paint Polish (PP) and perhaps their Metallic PolishWax (MP). The MP will remove any marring you may find from the Paint Polish and puts some pop in metallic finishes. I`m not sure if you can get these locally though. If you want to go the local route with a polish, you may want to get Meguiar`s Speed Glaze (#80). You should be able to find a local auto parts store or auto body distributor that can get it for you. Others may chime in too about other OTC polishes that can be applied by hand, or you can do a search using "hand polish*" (without the quotes) as your search criteria.

Now, know that I don`t polish by hand. I went the PC route. It wasn`t that expensive ... $110 or so for the PC and then the added cost of pads. You can get a PC (Porter Cable 7336) locally at Lowe`s, and perhaps you can find some pads locally as well. If you decide to get a PC and want some pads, Patrick at exceldetail.com has a nice selection.

Accumulator
05-04-2006, 09:14 AM
Yeah, the 1Z polishes are superb for by-hand use.

The IHG is merely solvents and fillers- it works OK for what it is. I`ve never used NXT but I`d be concerned that the NXT might remove a good portion of the IHG. But it might be worth trying as Meguiar`s "pure polishes" work OK under NXT and are kinda the same sort of thing. Try a small area first (IHG and NXT) and see how it works so you don`t waste time doing the whole car if the two aren`t compatible.