PDA

View Full Version : Any harm in using Klasse SG without AIO?

shortspark
05-03-2006, 09:11 AM
I have a new silver Honda and first detailed it with AIOx2 and SGx3. Since then (six months ago) I have kept it spotless and is garage kept every night. Also, I don`t drive it every day and put very few miles on it anyway. I have become a little anal and when I see even a speck a dirt out comes the Poorboys SW. I touch it up three or four times a week (even if I have not driven it) with a variety of QDs such as Jeff`s SG, FK435, Wolfgang spritz (which I just ordered but have not used yet), Menzerna HGAS and a few others. I just like QDs and do it whenever I can (since I am retired that means anytime I think about it - which is a lot!).

After six months I figured it is time to AIO/SG again (or use Jeff`s Jett over the AIO as it has been sitting on my shelf for about 8 months now). But then I looked at the truck today, put some HGAS to it and thought to myself that this thing can not look any better (at least in the silver color I have) and dust and water have been repelled perfectly each time I have driven in rain (not often over the last six months but a few times just recently).

I may have asked a similar question before here but can`t find the thread. So, I would appreciate your opinions please. If a new vehicle is kept n the condition as described, is a cleaner like Prime or AIO really necessary prior to the lsp sealant?

jdhutchin
05-03-2006, 09:16 AM
You can use SG without AIO, but it won`t stick as well. The two products are designed to be used with each other- SG is fomulated to bond to the surface that AIO puts down. But if your car is still beading water just fine, why do you need to do anything to it? It sounds like you`ve taken pretty good care of it, and the SG is lasting longer than 6 months, so I wouldn`t worry about another coat.

racingbeat
05-03-2006, 09:34 AM
put the SG in the donation bin to needy detailers.

shortspark
05-03-2006, 10:33 AM
You can use SG without AIO, but it won`t stick as well. The two products are designed to be used with each other- SG is fomulated to bond to the surface that AIO puts down. But if your car is still beading water just fine, why do you need to do anything to it? It sounds like you`ve taken pretty good care of it, and the SG is lasting longer than 6 months, so I wouldn`t worry about another coat.

That`s what I was thinking. But I am also wondering if the protection I am seeing is not SG any longer but rather all the QDs I am using all the time? I guess what I`m trying to say is that with the quality of today`s QDs and if used often enough, is putting down anything (such as SG or Prime, for example) even necessary?

bmwbear
05-03-2006, 11:35 AM
That`s what I was thinking. But I am also wondering if the protection I am seeing is not SG any longer but rather all the QDs I am using all the time? I guess what I`m trying to say is that with the quality of today`s QDs and if used often enough, is putting down anything (such as SG or Prime, for example) even necessary?

Shortspark, I would look at the SG as a sort of "insulation" layer. It sounds like most QD`s do not have the wear life that the SG does, so still using SG will keep you from needing to do "full" details as aften.

EMazda3S
05-03-2006, 01:27 PM
It`s almost as if you`d be adding another layer of SG if it`s still on the car. That`s a big "if" though.

If you are 100% confident that you still have full SG protection then I would just go ahead and add more if you want to. If you don`t have anything remaining, the worst thing that would happen would be that you don`t get 100% bonding and you will not have the durability that SG usually affords.

You have been QDing with your SG mixture for a while so maybe you`re O.K.?

BTW, at Klassedirect.com, they mention using AIO mixed with water as a QD. Doesn`t really make sense because of the cleaning power it has. It`d likely just strip off all the SG!

Being me, I would have to AIO first just in case. :cooleek:

If given the ultimate choice, I`d switch to Werkstatt or at the very least, AJ or AJ Trigger over AIO.

And just to throw this out to you; for the Summer, maybe consider going the carnauba route, especially if you have the time and enjoy taking care of the truck. This would give you an excuse to lavish some more attention on the baby and see how that silver warms up with the carnauba. ???!

I was just thinking today that I `d love to retire and take care of a garage queen. This was during the after work QD process with the sun following me and the bugs chasing me. :wavey

Eric

Accumulator
05-03-2006, 04:59 PM
shortspark- if you think there`s still SG on there (you can usually tell by how it feels, kinda plasticy) then I`d just clay gently and add more. I do that all the time even after quite a while. If it turns out less-than-swell in any respect just go back and redo it with the AIO.

hook
05-04-2006, 08:06 AM
What accumulator said. :bigups

blue skies,

Andrew

foxtrapper
05-05-2006, 07:02 AM
Acrylic polymers don`t need or use a primer to adhere. AIO, being an all-in-one product is cleaner & sealer, not cleaner & primer. If you`ve no need for the cleaner properties of AIO, simply go right to the dedicated sealer step.

racingbeat
05-05-2006, 08:11 AM
really?

So AIO make SG redundant? SG is like "extra insurance"?

I`m reordering AIO, not giving tha up ever.

p.s. shortspark,

if you ALREADY have Acrylic Jett go with that. After using SG for many years I`m won`t be going back now that I`ve tried AJ Trigger. So much easier. I use it on the wheels after I clean them each week.

Accumulator
05-05-2006, 09:01 AM
really?

So AIO make SG redundant? SG is like "extra insurance"?

No, AIO doesn`t make SG redundant....AIO by itself doesn`t last long at all while SG is a very durable, long-lasting product.