PDA

View Full Version : Removing Swirls/Scratches with PC

rebel88
05-03-2006, 07:21 AM
I`m trying to remove a large number of swirls and scratches with my PC on my black Ranger. I`m currenty using a LC Orange Cutting Pad with Hi-Temp Medium Cut Leveler and have not been able to achieve the results i`m looking for. I was thinking about stepping up to the Heavy Cut Leveler with the cutting pad, and then following that with medium cut, finished by light cut with a polishing pad. Then sealant and wax.

Does this seem excessive? Can you recommend another course of action. I know without pictures it`s hard to judge, but the entire vehicle is swirled heavily and has some scratches i would like to diminish in size.

Accumulator
05-03-2006, 09:38 AM
Rebel88- I`d probably try using 4" pads with the PC before going to a more aggressive product. I`d be surprised if the HT MC didn`t do it with 4" pads and I dunno about getting more aggressive than the medium cut...I`d rather switch to a rotary. The 4" pads really do make the PC *that* much more aggressive, give `em a try.

jdhutchin
05-03-2006, 10:03 AM
You may be going too fast with the PC. Make sure it`s cranked up all the way to 6 and then go slowly, about a half-inch per second. If it`s bad, it will take more than one pass to get it to look good. If that doesn`t work, then go for the 4in pads.

rebel88
05-03-2006, 11:30 AM
thanks, i`ll try going a bit slower and if all else fails jump to the 4" pads.

EMazda3S
05-05-2006, 01:02 PM
Rebel88- I`d probably try using 4" pads with the PC before going to a more aggressive product. I`d be surprised if the HT MC didn`t do it with 4" pads and I dunno about getting more aggressive than the medium cut...I`d rather switch to a rotary. The 4" pads really do make the PC *that* much more aggressive, give `em a try.

Very interesting. I`ve seen you mention this a few times Accmulator.

So, say one can`t get minimal swirls out with something like Optimim Polish, then perhaps instead on bumping up to Optimum Compound, maybe try the 4` pads with the Polish instead?

Secondly, I recall reading that one can actually inflict damage( well, much easier than with a 6.5 or bigger pad) with a PC using the 4" pads. Is this really correct?

The products I list above are just a reference point, feel free to change them to anything else that`s applicable.

Thanks!

Eric