PDA

View Full Version : Severe water marks..

kid_dynamite
05-02-2006, 09:39 PM
Hi all,

Just bought a second hand car. It spent the last 4-5 months outdoors and not been washed once :cry:

The car is white, and there are lots of streaks from runoff on the sides of the car, and spots on the roof from rain drying off.

So far I`ve gone over the car a couple of times with nxt car wash, and a bit of elbow grease. It`s removed a fair bit of junk but I`m left with the streaks that will not readily come off.

Without resorting to a cut and polish, what sort of products can I use to get rid of them?

Claying?

Prepsol (Wax and grease remover)?

Eventually I want to properly go over the car (wash. clay, clean, sealant, etc), just wasn`t sure if the clay would remove this type of stuff.

Thanks.

01bluecls
05-02-2006, 09:46 PM
More than likely the rain (acidic rain) has etched into the clear coar/paint. If that is the case then polishing with an abrasive polish may be the only solution.

strat81
05-03-2006, 04:30 PM
Hi all,

Just bought a second hand car. It spent the last 4-5 months outdoors and not been washed once :cry:

The car is white, and there are lots of streaks from runoff on the sides of the car, and spots on the roof from rain drying off.

So far I`ve gone over the car a couple of times with nxt car wash, and a bit of elbow grease. It`s removed a fair bit of junk but I`m left with the streaks that will not readily come off.

Without resorting to a cut and polish, what sort of products can I use to get rid of them?

Claying?

Prepsol (Wax and grease remover)?

Eventually I want to properly go over the car (wash. clay, clean, sealant, etc), just wasn`t sure if the clay would remove this type of stuff.

Thanks.

Clay is relatively inexpensive. Even if it doesn`t remove the staining you described it will still remove a lot of contaminents from the surface leaving it ready for an abrasive or chemical polish.