PDA

View Full Version : Uk newbie-help please!

robster_uk
05-02-2006, 09:46 AM
Hi everyone!Well been lurking aroung forums for a few days and what a great site it is-with lots of good advice for newbies like myself(!) and experienced detailers.

I hope someones is able to help with my plan of action!I have just bought brand new AUDI Sportback A3 in brillaint red -not metallic. I love the car but just want to get off to the right start with it regarding the best exterior care.

I have always previously used Autoglym range which I thought were very good, but upon reading this forum have ordered the following producys online:

Wax aplicator pads

Sonus green extra fine clay and lubricant

Wolfgangs pre polish cleanser

Wolfgangs deep gloss sealant

Cobra Heavy Duty Waffle Weave Towel

Poorboys Microfibre Cloths

The only questions I have really are that is it 100% ok to use the clay on the new car as a first step and whether i need to apply any wax etc after using the sealant or am i better to add another layer of sealant.

Well thats my first ever post on the forum and hope all those knowledgeable detailers out there can help this newbie! Thanks!

imported_steveo3002
05-02-2006, 10:00 AM
yeah its totaly safe to use clay , be sure to use lots and lots of qd/lube/soapy water with it...keep the work area wet all the time

robster_uk
05-02-2006, 11:12 AM
Thanks Steve

Do you think its quite a good combination to start off on new paintwork or you think any other combination would be much more protective?Im planning on claying,prewax WG polish then WG sealant -hoping to just keep using Mag Gold Class shampoo then keeping topping up sealant every 2 months or so.Do i need to add any kind of wax or anything into this routine?

imported_steveo3002
05-02-2006, 12:00 PM
ive never used those WG products so i cant comment on their performance....some people chose to put a wax over the sealant for a even better look. thing is if you wax you cant switch back to sealant over wax. you would need to keep waxing or start over and repolish then sealant

Lowejackson
05-02-2006, 12:30 PM
Welcome to Autopia

Dont discount the Autoglym range - they make some very good products

DM101
05-02-2006, 12:52 PM
Do the steps you said. You would not beleive how bad a new car finish can be . After washing rub your palm across the surface....You feel all those bumps. Railroad dust, highway crap, and air bourne particles embedded in your paint. The clay will remove all that and be smooth as a baby`s bottom.

Lowejackson
05-02-2006, 01:07 PM
The clay will remove all that and be smooth as a baby`s bottom.

Or maybe even smoother

robster_uk
05-02-2006, 01:17 PM
Thanks for your advice guys-looking forward to detailing new car this weekend-weather permitting!