PDA

View Full Version : Another Use For Rain-X

foris2
03-04-2005, 10:27 PM
While detailing a customer`s vehicle today I learned something that I had never tried before. The customer had sap on his hood and trunk and he asked me would I be able to remove it. Of course I told him yes. He asked had I ever used Rain-X to remove sap from the paint (and of course I hadn`t). He suggested I try it to see how it works and offered to retrieve some from his garage. I told him that wouldn`t be necessary because I had some readily available. To make a long story short - I put some Rain-X on one section of a MF towel, dabbed the sap with it for a couple of seconds or so - and to my surprise the sap came off as if I it was jam. Simply amazing I thought. Caution - it mitht remove a little wax, but I hadn`t waxed the car yet so that was no problem. Even so, in my opinion it didn`t remove any previous wax at all. I guess you never get too old to learn something new that really works. I just wanted to share this info with you guys.

The Chee
03-05-2005, 01:05 AM
Good info, I guess the high amount of alcohol in rainX helps in removal of the acidic tree sap

dpeezy415
03-05-2005, 03:03 AM
Great tip, I`ll remember that next time I encounter it.

Don
03-05-2005, 05:32 AM
...Caution - it might remove a little wax...

Rain-X will strip wax fairly quick (as in on contact). Let a drop roll down the side of a freshly waxed car, then wet the area down. You will see the water `cling` to the path of the Rain-X drop just like it would a nonwaxed surface. I too believe it`s because of the high alcohol content in Rain-X.