PDA

View Full Version : Removing wax (By Hand NXT Meg) paint transfer to rag... Help???

Nicky9
05-02-2006, 05:29 AM
All,

My brother-in-law has an 03 Toyota Corolla Type S (Red). I was helping him put a coat of NXT Meguiar`s when I noticed that on certian spots while buffing the rag had some red paint transfer. I applied another gentle coat to try and give more protection.

Obviously this car hasnt had proper attention/paint care, but that is where I come in. I want to fix this.

Oh yeah using microfiber towls to buff, and using normal buffing pressure 9Normal to me..)

I am pretty sure its not the NXT, I have used it on my New Tacoma and Sorento, havnt seen any transfer at all.

Please advise...

1. What other info do you need to properly diagnos this?

2. Does this mean the clear coat is gone?

3. What steps to correct this?

4. I dont have a PC yet, so all of this will have to be by hand.

Thanks in advance.

Nicky9

imported_themightytimmah
05-02-2006, 06:07 AM
Might just be red shot into the clear, a Dodge Shadow I did for a friend a few weeks back was definetly clearcoated, but it turned my pads and towels red while buffing. As long as the paint is still glossy and shows no signs of clearcoat failure or buffer burn (dull spots, cloudy spots, etc) you should be in good shape.

Nicky9
05-02-2006, 06:16 AM
Ok, thanks. I will take a look and snap some pics. Thanks for the quick response.

V/r

Nicky9

awahl63
05-02-2006, 06:31 AM
Yeah I bet your just dealing with stuff that`s in the clear cote because I`d be shocked if the clear was already gone on an 03 corolla

imported_Bence
05-02-2006, 06:55 AM
*Normal* removing pressure of the dried NXT layer is close to nil. The weight of your hand is far more than necessary. If the applied layers are adequately thin (read: hardly visible), they`ll practically fall off. Even newbie-heavily applied NXT paste is easy to remove. Just remember: you are not in a gym, when buffing off a synthetic wax. Nice, slow movements (NOT the random quicky circles) with a folded towel, and that`s it.

Maybe this the classic Toyota case: certain blacks and reds were single stage, but I don`t know the exact manufacturing dates. Still, a 03 is unlikely, but who knows...

Scottwax
05-02-2006, 07:27 AM
I know Honda was not clearcoating white paint on Accords as late as 2002. Red is another color manufacturers are notorious for sticking with single stage paint. As long as the paint looks good, you should be fine. All you did was remove some dead oxidized paint-which is a good thing.

Nicky9
05-02-2006, 08:03 AM
*Normal* removing pressure of the dried NXT layer is close to nil. The weight of your hand is far more than necessary. If the applied layers are adequately thin (read: hardly visible), they`ll practically fall off. Even newbie-heavily applied NXT paste is easy to remove. Just remember: you are not in a gym, when buffing off a synthetic wax. Nice, slow movements (NOT the random quicky circles) with a folded towel, and that`s it.

Maybe this the classic Toyota case: certain blacks and reds were single stage, but I don`t know the exact manufacturing dates. Still, a 03 is unlikely, but who knows...

Good point. I tried to put that info in there to establish that I was using proper technique in removing the wax.

If I do have one of these "single stage" paint jobs is there anything to worry about?

wildboar
05-02-2006, 08:19 AM
If I do have one of these "single stage" paint jobs is there anything to worry about?

My super red `91 Celica has a combo, the hood and doors are clear coated while the fenders and quarters are not. It could be something like that, but if the paint is in excellent condition it would be hard to tell just by looking at it. Just keep a single stage sealed off well and it will be fine.

Setec Astronomy
05-02-2006, 09:36 AM
My super red `91 Celica has a combo, the hood and doors are clear coated while the fenders and quarters are not. It could be something like that, but if the paint is in excellent condition it would be hard to tell just by looking at it. Just keep a single stage sealed off well and it will be fine.

Sounds like that "combo" was created by a bodyshop repainting some panels...I can`t imagine the mfr. would do that.

imported_animes2k
05-02-2006, 11:36 AM
The red S2000 from Honda is another notorious one for freaking people out :)

I think the general consensus on that car is that there`s red mixed in the clear. Likely the same with your Corolla, but Toyota does seem pretty fond of SS on a number of their cars (mainly black).