PDA

View Full Version : Decals?

Pages : [1] 2

mowambi
05-01-2006, 09:17 PM
I need help, i have a customer who has a JEEP covered in DECALS... Was wondering the best way to get them off... hes getting a full detail done as well but i dont want to really create unneccessary scratches with a razor but is tha tthe only real way.. The car has some serious sun damage.. so i know the colors are going to differ... customer already understands that but whats the best way to get the decals off...

imported_Tex Star Detail
05-01-2006, 09:53 PM
I need help, i have a customer who has a JEEP covered in DECALS... Was wondering the best way to get them off... hes getting a full detail done as well but i dont want to really create unneccessary scratches with a razor but is tha tthe only real way.. The car has some serious sun damage.. so i know the colors are going to differ... customer already understands that but whats the best way to get the decals off...

Try a heat gun and plastic razor blades.

jerry@robs
05-02-2006, 04:13 AM
It`s hell, especially if it has been there for quite a while... Don`t undercharge, trust me... hehe.

Chris_DBS
05-02-2006, 04:24 AM
try boiling the kettle, and run the hot water over them. this tends to soften them enough to pick them off with a finger nail. unless they are the metallic backed ones or they are totally sunburnt on. I live in Queensland Australia and used this method heaps. Normally have a good response.

Chris

mowambi
05-03-2006, 05:46 PM
k ive got tons of ideas how to do it, i talked to a buddy of mine who said the best way is a 70/30 mix of vinegar and gasoline, im getting 150 for the decail removal...

antidote11
05-04-2006, 09:35 AM
The best thing for removing decals IMO - heat gun and fingernails. After that, I usually hit the adhesive left behind with goo b gone mixed with water or some Bug and Tar remover on a q-tip.

Five Star
05-04-2006, 10:46 AM
you can heat it with a heat gun, hair dryer, or parking in direct sunlight may soften it up enough depending on how long its been on there.

I always soften a corner just enough to start peeling it off, I do not heat the whole decal, for me it seems to leave more residue behind. Its alot harder to pull off, but the cleanup is easier

opass
05-04-2006, 12:36 PM
Heat gun works very good to remove decals.

Accumulator
05-04-2006, 01:59 PM
Yeah, heat and 3M Adhesive Remover (which is great stuff to have around anyhow, very handy).

jimmybuffit
05-05-2006, 04:07 PM
the best way is a 70/30 mix of vinegar and gasoline.

I sure hope you are not serious about that :rolleyes:

Serious paint damage, not now, but within a year, for sure.

Wranglers are notorious for their CC failure after 5-6 years, BTW

Jim

ScubaStevo
05-05-2006, 05:27 PM
I sure hope you are not serious about that :rolleyes:

Serious paint damage, not now, but within a year, for sure.

Wranglers are notorious for their CC failure after 5-6 years, BTW

Jim

I`ve never had a problem with gasoline approach. Blazer`s seen gas back in the day, and it still has clear on it. :nervous:

imported_ajbarnes
05-05-2006, 05:38 PM
I agree with using a heat gun and then follow up with either 3m Adhesive remover or goo b gone. It can be time consuming, but it is effective and safe.

salty
05-05-2006, 09:59 PM
Some decals come off easy with a little heat and a pull. Others are a bear. I tend to use heat or a rubber wheel on drill about 50/50. Or a mix, heat off the vinyl and then get most of the glue off with the rubber wheel and then a solvent.

Ron Harris
05-06-2006, 03:25 AM
I use my vapor steamer. It gets hot but not hot enough to burn the paint like a heat gun.

imported_ajbarnes
05-06-2006, 09:44 AM
I use my vapor steamer. It gets hot but not hot enough to burn the paint like a heat gun.

Hmm. That`s a good idea. I don`t know why I never thought of that.