PDA

View Full Version : NSX Detailing

Pages : [1] 2

skyguyz
03-04-2005, 07:45 PM
My 91 NSX is getting the detailing it so deserves. I`m not new to cleaning a car and have read volumes on the exterior detaling process.
Having removed the seats and detailed the cockpit and engine compartment,
under hood, etc I`m now ready for the exterior, (Yes, the wheels/tires have been removed and detailed today.) There are many "recipes" for exterior detailing and......

My question is this:

My paint is in "good" condition with minimal swirls, etc. Is my recipe below sound like a good one or not?

-Using a Porter-Cable 7424 with 6" counterweight
-using all "Edge 2000 pads" 6"

-Start with Edge green pad, (light cut) with Meg`s #9 swirl remover
-next using Edge blue pad, (non-abrasive) with Meg`s #3 Machine glaze
-next using Edge white pad, (ultra fine) with Meg`s #26 Hi-tech wax
-remove Meg`s #26 Hi-tech wax with MF.

*All trim and badges, etc to be 3M blue taped prior to doing job.
*Using 2 500 watt halogen work lights

I have Edge yellow pad, (medium cut) and Menzerna intensive polish. This I will not use. It`s for the "Other" car with scratches, big swirls etc.

So, Does this recipe sound good or what else should I use/do?

Thank You in advance for your reply!

Skyguyz

*Pics included are of my NSX not detailed.
*Click on pics for larger view.

BlackSunshine
03-04-2005, 10:24 PM
Not familiar with all of these products so I`ll let someone else tackle it....but nice HOOTERS, I mean car:) Can`t wait to see the final product. You should also post some close-ups of the paint. It`ll be good for you to have as well, I`m sure you will notice a big difference. Don`t forget to clay!!!!! That should be first on the recipe list.

karll
03-04-2005, 10:40 PM
hopefully #9 will tackle the job!! prep prep prep!!!

BTW, useless trivia comin atchya. I think honda/acura used a tinted clear coat on that NSX you got there. I believe they tinted the clear with purple to give it an extra little pop!! purple or pink,,,cant remember...but either way a really interesting concept?!?

karll
03-04-2005, 10:42 PM
hopefully #9 will tackle the job!! prep prep prep!!!

BTW, useless trivia comin atchya. I think honda/acura used a tinted clear coat on that NSX you got there. I believe they tinted the clear with purple to give it an extra little pop!! purple or pink,,,cant remember...but either way a really interesting concept?!?

maybe GSRstilez can help ya out with that red paint....I;m wondering if his acura has the tinted clear??

SilverLexus
03-04-2005, 11:27 PM
More pics of the Hooters girls please. :D

Someone had to ask. :)

Bell
03-05-2005, 12:34 AM
Meguiars #9 should be used after #3. In fact I personally would not use #9 as it has fillers and very mild polishing properties.

Best bet is Intensive polish.

Don
03-05-2005, 05:49 AM
Meguiars #9 should be used after #3. In fact I personally would not use #9 as it has fillers and very mild polishing properties.

Best bet is Intensive polish.

Sorry, wrong order. The #9 goes before the #3. The #9 is designed to remove light swirling/imperfections and the #3 is an optional final step before waxing/sealing. If you don`t like the #9 because of `fillers` (AKA Megs Trade Secret Polishing Oils) you`d hate the #3, because basically that`s all it`s composed of.

According to Megs, their pure polishes like the #3 are designed to fill the micro cracks & imperfections in the paint surface to give the wettest/deepest look possible before final sealing.

skyguyz

Your plan sounds good to me as a starting point. After using the #9 with the light cut pad, re-evaluate the surface to se if the swirls are gone. If Yes, continue to the next step (the #3) if No, then either give it another go with the #9 OR move up to the next level of pad (medium cut) or cleaner (#83 DACP)

kimwallace
03-05-2005, 08:33 AM
If the #9 removes the minor swirls, that in itself will leave a great look to top with #26.
I personally have not had very good luck using #3 Machine Glaze with the PC, It does work great with the rotary buffer though. The #26 will give you a nice wet look on that color. The only issue I have with #26 is its durability.

Bell
03-05-2005, 11:11 AM
Sorry, wrong order. The #9 goes before the #3. The #9 is designed to remove light swirling/imperfections and the #3 is an optional final step before waxing/sealing. If you don`t like the #9 because of `fillers` (AKA Megs Trade Secret Polishing Oils) you`d hate the #3, because basically that`s all it`s composed of.

According to Megs, their pure polishes like the #3 are designed to fill the micro cracks & imperfections in the paint surface to give the wettest/deepest look possible before final sealing.

skyguyz

Your plan sounds good to me as a starting point. After using the #9 with the light cut pad, re-evaluate the surface to se if the swirls are gone. If Yes, continue to the next step (the #3) if No, then either give it another go with the #9 OR move up to the next level of pad (medium cut) or cleaner (#83 DACP)

The use of both #3 and #9 on the same car at the same time is pointless as either one will remove the other, that`s my point.

Both clean, although I do believe the #3 is paintable. I personally much prefer the #3 over the #9, especially if using a rotary. I do not have a PC

pt91
03-05-2005, 12:06 PM
I haven`t used those products either but would use clay first.
Post some before and afters if you can.
It is warm enough today to get the leatherique on my seats!

2hotford
03-05-2005, 12:46 PM
Hey,

Just to clarify....

Meguiar`s #3 Machine Glaze and #9 Swirl Remover are two very different products.

Meguiar`s #3 Machine Glaze is a Pure Polish with no cleaning abilities. Its job is to add a richness and beautify the paint`s surface. It was designed to be applied by machine, but works very well with the PC or by hand.

Meguiar`s #9 Swirl Remover is a very mild cleaner/polish. It will remove light swirls, but tends to perform best with a rotary if used for swirl removal. But for cleaning the surface, prior to applying a pure polish or Last Step Product, then #9 would be an excellent choice. Meguiar`s #9 uses TS Oils to help "buffer" the diminishing abrasives while buffing.

There is nothing wrong at all with using #3 on top of #9. I have used that very combination for years with great success! :)

Tim
Meguiar`s Online Super Moderator

skyguyz
03-05-2005, 01:52 PM
OK,
This forum is great! You guys are providing just the type of info I`m looking for.

After reading the posts here. I`ve decided that Claying is the missing step. So.....I bought some Meg`s clay and just got done.
So far:
Step 1 = Wash
Step 2 = Clay (Meg`s clay & Meg`s quick detailer as lube)
step 3 = car cover and rest for now

Pics of the NSX detail quest:

pics 1 & 2 after clapics 3 & 4 after wash

betterdan
03-05-2005, 01:53 PM
Yea yea the car looks nice. Now what about them girls? :naughty

pt91
03-05-2005, 03:32 PM
Here, I will help you guys out. Hope you don`t mind, skyguyz.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40377

Looks good after claying. Did it lift much junk?

skyguyz
03-05-2005, 11:17 PM
PT91-Yeah My wife had me drive her to a store for shopping and I noticed a car show at Hooters next door and well, uh I said I`ll check out the car show while she`s shopping and when I picked her up she asked "How was the show?`
I showed her the pics (digital camera was onboard) and she just let a little steam out of her ears......

Oh yeah, The clay removed some contaniments, but my paint was in pretty good condition. My supplies arrive monday and that`s when I`ll start phase 3. I`m leaning on using Meg`s #81 rather than #3. Still undecided.

More pics to come.

Skyguy