PDA

View Full Version : Restoring Matted Carpeting

MBZ 500E
04-30-2006, 08:07 AM
So I`ve been gone a while but about 1 month ago I purchased something that will have me back here posting as usual!

My new old toy is an 87 Porsche 928 which needs a makeover of sorts. The exterior is in ok shape with plenty of rock chips and swirls/scratches in the clear which are awful. The interior leather is rough and the carpeting is beat. Anyways the exterior has to wait until I get a PC and the leather is beyond reconditioning so it will be replaced.

I was hoping someone here can help with restoring the carpeting. The carpeting has some embedded dirt in it and it`s matted down in some areas. I`ve learned that the silverknit carpeting used by the factory doesn`t like to get wet so I`m wondering how to restore it and get it cleaned up without damaging it further. The color of the carpeting is a goldish/tan color and the dirty spots have taken on a grayish hue. Any suggestions for the right products or tools would be greatly appreciated.

imported_cj99si
04-30-2006, 08:17 AM
Any pics? If it caint get that wet your best bet is using a steamcleaner/hot water extractor.

MBZ 500E
04-30-2006, 08:28 AM
I`ll get some pics of it later today, hopefully I can capture the problem areas appropriately.

Accumulator
04-30-2006, 09:50 AM
MBZ 500E- Welcome back!

My 928s never had any really dirty carpet, but they weren`t all *that* sensititive to it getting wet either. Could be the matting is partially the result of its having been wet in the past and not having been dried propery (i.e., fluffed while drying).

I`d try a steamer. It`ll emulsify the dirt that may be contributing to the matting and oughta fluff the fibers up a bit too. I wouldn`t hesistate to extract it, just spend a lot of time on the "extracting" part of the process so you don`t leave it too wet. Then I`d force-dry it the rest of the way while brushing it to keep it from matting down.

See if the carpet wants to come out easily. I had most of the floor carpet out of my, uhm, forget the year of that one :o when I did the stereo.

Hope you have fun with the car. I was a real 928 fanatic for a while there, had a total of four of `em over the years before switching to sedans.

MBZ 500E
04-30-2006, 06:04 PM
Thanks for the responses!

Accumulator, I had no idea you had that many 928`s! Funny actually, many on the Rennlist forums have two or three as well. It`s as if these cars get a hold of their owners and brain wash them into getting a high maintenance friend or two. :drool: :o

Anyways I will have to look into trying an extractor although I don`t currently own one. None of my previous cars have every needed the kind of restoring this one needs to get it looking new again. Seems Porsche materials just don`t hold up that well as compared to the MB`s I`ve owned.

Any suggestions on the type of extractors and any specific brushes to restore the matted fibers? I`ve posted a few shots below which show both matted areas and areas which look new. If I can`t get the carpets looking new I`m going to rip them all out and replace. If an extractor/steamer costs too much vs replacing the carpet I`ll just replace. Thanks again for the help.

Accumulator
05-01-2006, 10:05 AM
MBZ 500E- Heh heh, well at least I only had one at a time. I`d get rid of one and a few years later I just had to have another. Finally got over them after doing some track work and discovering that I couldn`t fit in the last one with a helmet; it just got too frustrating knowing I hadn`t/couldn`t learn the car`s capabilities. And then I never tracked the Mallett `vette I replaced it with anyhow :rolleyes

I bet you might be better off replacing the carpet. I just somehow think you could spend a fortune and a lot of time/effort and still decide it`s just not as nice as you`d like. Of course to remove it all you`re gonna need a heat gun and the right solvents and it sure won`t be a quick/easy job. But it *would* be an excuse to get an extractor/steamer and it might turn out good enough. I myself would just shoot for "good enough" but then I transported my dogs in mine if that tells you anythig about how unpampered they were ;)

I can`t quite picture "Marine Blue". My last one was "Horizon Blue" which IIRC is a lot lighter than yours.

MBZ 500E
05-01-2006, 04:20 PM
I guess that is better than having two or three at a time. :grinno:

I want to show this car eventually so I really do want to get it looking its best. I think you`re right about changing the carpet. It just doesn`t seem like it can be brought back to like new appearance. My other fear is the car spent a great deal of it`s life in the Nevada sun and parts of the carpeting look faded. Not sure if its the wrong cleaners that caused it or just the sun or maybe both. A heat gun is inexpensive and I can think of tons of other uses for it so I think it`s money well spent. I won`t be changing anything until next winter so if I can find an extractor I`ll give it a try.

Marine blue is a mettalic navy blue with a purple hue in the sun. It looks sharp IMHO. The interior is a navy blue dash, center console and upper door skin with cashmere carpeting, seats and a lower door skin. Seems the entire door skin is made of leather, surprised me as I assumed they were vinyl uppers with leather lowers. The rear hatch is the navy as well. Here`s a shot of the outside, still needs to be polished :)

RTexasF
05-01-2006, 04:28 PM
You had mentioned getting a PC for the exterior work. There are carpet and upholstery brushes available for it that might aid the cause.

Accumulator
05-02-2006, 09:13 AM
..the car spent a great deal of it`s life in the Nevada sun and parts of the carpeting look faded. ..

Marine blue is a mettalic navy blue with a purple hue in the sun..

OK, now I know what the color`s like.

If it spent time in the hot sun, how are the panels lining the sides of the hatch area? I had to replace them in one of mine `cause they warped from the heat. Easy to do but very expensive.

Showing a 928 would be a bit of a challenge, lots of little details to, uhm, detail. Especially under the hood.